This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tried Millet For 1st Time Last Night

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

Just wanted to pass along that I had millet for the 1st time last night and thought it was great! I bought Bob's brand...simmered like rice or quinoa. It reminded me a lot of grits...in fact I will be using it tonight to sub for grits in a recipe. (Can't really do corn) It has a very mild taste like rice--would be great in lots of different recipes. But far more nutritious than just rice. Anyway-just wanted to pass it along in case someone else was thinking of trying it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

OK, this is really weird. I just bought some last week but haven't tried it yet...maybe this weekend when I am not too busy and won't have sick kids around!

jenvan Collaborator

That's funny Kate! Yeah, I am excited about them... I loved grits, but can't really tolerate them. You could make this salty, in a beans or rice type meal or go for sweet and creamy and make into an oatmealish type cereal. Let me know what you think!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yep, a tasty dish. I plan to try it as a substitute for bulgar in tabouleh. And you can use it in pilaf.

One thing to make it taste better than regular:

Toast it in a hot, dry skillet *before* cooking, until you get a pleasant, nutty smell, and can hear it 'popping', sounding like a light rain. It changes the taste subtly, and it, IMHO, worth the 10 minutes or so it takes.

jenvan Collaborator
Yep, a tasty dish. I plan to try it as a substitute for bulgar in tabouleh. And you can use it in pilaf.

One thing to make it taste better than regular:

Toast it in a hot, dry skillet *before* cooking, until you get a pleasant, nutty smell, and can hear it 'popping', sounding like a light rain. It changes the taste subtly, and it, IMHO, worth the 10 minutes or so it takes.

Oooo--sounds great! Question--simmering like I did gave it the soft grits texture. If I toasted before or cooked in less water, would it cook to more of a fluffy texture? Does my question make sense? Any good recipes you have with millet? You are kind-of an alternative grain goddess :)

Oooo--sounds great! Question--simmering like I did gave it the soft grits texture. If I toasted before or cooked in less water, would it cook to more of a fluffy texture? Does my question make sense? Any good recipes you have with millet? You are kind-of an alternative grain goddess :)

If you toast, and then use the 'just enough' liquid (I forget the amount listed on the package), it'll be much lighter and fluffier. I don't have any good recipes beyond the plain toasted and cooked with broth one yet - other than using it under pasta sauce or stir fry. I'll post the tabouleh option when I manage to work that one out. ;-)

Green12 Enthusiast

I like to cook my millet in a pressure cooker. It gives it much more flavor in my opinion and I prefer the texture, it comes out a little softer than crunchy. I also add a little shredded carrot and chopped onion and about 1 tbsp (or less) of coconut oil to the millet and water before cooking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I can't find the recipe, but another yummy way to eat millet is to cook it like Spanish rice - add tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic, salt and cumin to the water.

Cheri A Contributor
I can't find the recipe, but another yummy way to eat millet is to cook it like Spanish rice - add tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic, salt and cumin to the water.

Thank you for this Liz!! This will be perfect tonight for my Cinco de Mayo dinner! I'm heading to the HFS today for millet!

kabowman Explorer

I miss both grits and tabouleh - guess what I will be making this weekend!

jenvan Collaborator

Yeah for everyone joining the millet crowd :) I served it last night instead of grits in grits and shrimp--with garlic and pepper. Yummy!

Tiffany--Would love the tabouleh 'recipe' when you work it out--thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
nursestherapies Rookie

Me too please, I miss tabbuleh.

VydorScope Proficient

Is this the same stuff I feed my bird that comes in little trees????

elisabet Contributor

I thought millet is a no no for celiacs .It contains gluten.

I thought millet is a no no for celiacs .It contains gluten.

Millet does not contain gluten - that is from an out of date site and based on incorrect information.

Archived