• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

cocoa_mama70

Iowa City Celiacs

Rate this topic

hello!

sorry, i'm not from iowa city...but i am a fellow iowan! :) i'm happy to see someone just actually in the same state! i don't know anyone else with celiac.

have a good day!

kms

Hello and welcome :) Sometimes it feels like there is no one else here in iowa with this

have a good day

angie

hello!

sorry, i'm not from iowa city...but i am a fellow iowan! :) i'm happy to see someone just actually in the same state! i don't know anyone else with celiac.

have a good day!

kms

Hello and welcome :) Sometimes it feels like there is no one else here in iowa with this

have a good day

angie

Hello...angie and cocoa_mama70!! :D a fellow Iowan, I am from SE Iowa. I was about to post to see if anyone from Iowa was on this board. I do think there is a support group @ Iowa city but that is 100 miles from me. Only time I go up there is if My hubby or I see Dr. .

Maybe we can start our own support group right here on celiac forum unless you 2 have a better idea. I was sent to the dietitcian @ the University and she gave me a list of support people but after emailing both of them I did not here back from either !! :rolleyes:

I sure have gotten a lot of good tips from varouis people here. I am a regular poster on a couple threads, have asked my share of questions and welcomed many new people too. I had just about decided what cocoa said "no one here with celiac".

I surely hope to hear from you two soon, maybe we can help each other. I did find a lady just 6 miles from me just as she was moving farther away to Missouri, have her telephone number but am waiting till she gets settled in her new home. Have a good day too.. :) evie my address lavon19@netins.net

have a good day

angie

:) Hey, I found two Iowans on this forum!!! :) Sure hope we can make contact, I added to your posts hoping to get an answer but you may not be checking again since has been sometime since May '06. I would very much like to contact Iowans with celiac disease, we can learn from each other ; ). I have been on this forum since early April and have learned a lot from these generous people. Many of them have GOOD research capabilities on the computer...much better than I. They have been good to share with me and others. I live in SE Iowa & have tried to get with a support group by emailing two ladies on groups, but no luck/ answers. Please contact me lavon19@netins.net Also I am evie on this board. Have a good evening!!

Thank you, evie :):)

hello!

have a good day!

kms

Just glad to find someone here who is from Iowa!! :D I live in SE Iowa and my email address is..

lavon19@netins.net ..I hope we can talk @ each other about our mutual problems, whether on the forum or by email. I was diagnosed (sort of) in Feb. 06 and was so sick for months before and after, came on here early April 06. Have learned a lot from other posters here but none are from Iowa. Another lady (cocoa-mama) posted looking for Iowans, I have sent her a pm too. Hope you wll be interested in getting in touch some how katrinamaria. Good evening!! :) evie

Just glad to find someone here who is from Iowa!! :D I live in SE Iowa and my email address is..

lavon19@netins.net ..I hope we can talk @ each other about our mutual problems, whether on the forum or by email. I was diagnosed (sort of) in Feb. 06 and was so sick for months before and after, came on here early April 06. Have learned a lot from other posters here but none are from Iowa. Another lady (cocoa-mama) posted looking for Iowans, I have sent her a pm too. Hope you wll be interested in getting in touch some how katrinamaria. Good evening!! :) evie

Hi to all you Iowa Folks.

My name is Kay and my husband, Wayne, is the celiac in our family. We live in Des Moines and have a very active support group here. We meet every 2 months for a Celiac Potluck. We have table after table of some of the best tasting gluten free food around. Our support group has some pretty good cooks

Unfortunately, we just had our July meeting and won't have one in September because of the state meeting in Cedar Rapids. Our next potluck will be in November. We usually have about 100 people in attendance. The meat, drink and table service is provided and last time they served barbequed ribs and meatloaf. I took rye bread and cream puffs, but newbies don't have to bring a dish. We are always welcoming new celiacs and visitors so be sure to PM me if you are interested and I will forward info to you. We have visitors from all over the state.

Hi to all you Iowa Folks.

My name is Kay and my husband, Wayne, is the celiac in our family. We live in Des Moines and have a very active support group here. We meet every 2 months for a Celiac Potluck. We have table after table of some of the best tasting gluten free food around. Our support group has some pretty good cooks

Unfortunately, we just had our July meeting and won't have one in September because of the state meeting in Cedar Rapids. Our next potluck will be in November. We usually have about 100 people in attendance. The meat, drink and table service is provided and last time they served barbequed ribs and meatloaf. I took rye bread and cream puffs, but newbies don't have to bring a dish. We are always welcoming new celiacs and visitors so be sure to PM me if you are interested and I will forward info to you. We have visitors from all over the state.

Glad you posted Katydid... I have been looking for some fellow Iowan celiacs. we have a DD who lives in Van Meter W. of DM and if I ever get so I can travel that far maybe we can time it with a meeting and come as a visitor..would love that. Am sure you have a good time and learn too. Do you know is it true men get better sooner with celiac or has your husband had it since a child? Where do you like to do gluten free shopping in DM? Our daughter has brought me some things from Hy Vee when they have come down.

Thank you so much for answering my post, I really appreciate it. have a good evening!! :) evie

hello iowans!

i would love any tips on where to do gluten free shopping...it is harder to do around here:) i was in chicago last week and there are so many weird little shops and things and all the waiters i encountered were very accomadating and understanding.

i see we are all a bit spread out around the state:) but i do make it DSM quite a bit. if any of you are passing through the cedar falls/waterloo area the hyvee in CF has an ok section and sells the best english muffins in the freezer section. there is a health food store (T'N'K) in w'loo that also has a decent gluten-free section.

thanks! and nice to meet you all:)

kms

p.s. oh! and i was in mason city once and stopped in a little health food store there that says they "specialize in gluten free foods" which was pretty good, for iowa anyway:) alot of different things there (seaweed and garlic crackers...sounds weird but were very good!)

Wow....I'm suddenly feeling disheartened. The last post for the Iowa City area was in 2006?!?!

If anyone is still looking here and knows of a group in this area - please respond!

:huh:

I live 90 mi north of Des Moines. There used to be a group in Mason City but they disbanded a few years ago. I miss it. And there is a nice health food store in a strip mall in MC that carries lots of basic necessities and some frozen items.

I have learned so much from this forum but have been a lurker for many years. So much tried and true advice on here.

Hi,

i just moved back to Iowa City (retired from US Navy after 20 years!). I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2002, been gluten-free since. I would like to link-up with any support groups in the general Iowa City region.

I've been living overseas for the last 10 years - moving back I can't believe how much gluten-free items are available now. amazing.

anyhoo, just wanted to jump in.

cheers

Shan

i just moved back to Iowa City (retired from US Navy after 20 years!). I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2002, been gluten-free since. I would like to link-up with any support groups in the general Iowa City region.

I've been living overseas for the last 10 years - moving back I can't believe how much gluten-free items are available now. amazing.

anyhoo, just wanted to jump in.

cheers

Shan

shan, we do have a celiaC SUPPORT GROUP IN THE IOWA CITY AREA. WE MEET ONCE A MONTH. IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.celiacsupportgroup