• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest momx3

New, And Lots Of Questions!

Rate this topic

Guest momx3

I'm Kate, brand new here, I've got three children, the youngest (13 months) of which I believe has celiac disease. I'm a nervous wreck right now, I FINALLY have a script to get the blood tests! I've had my son on a gluten-free diet for about 6 weeks (my idea....after a bad experience with wheat cereal, severe eczema, dramatic slow in weight gain, etc). My ped sent me to an allergist, turned up nothing. He also sent me to a dermatologist-who happened to have a nurse practitioner who worked GI at one point & is celiac herself-she ordered the test.

My biggest question is will my experiment with the gluten-free diet affect the results? He's been "glutenized" for almost two weeks now, after being gluten-free for six. (During which time, the eczema disappeared, diapers were normal & he gained 2 lbs!). I'm actually scared to take this test, worried that I will have somehow skewed the results. The tests ordered are the gliadin antibody assay, tissue transglutaminase IGA and iga immunoglobulin assay, are any of them particularly sensitive?

I believe that my other children and even I may also have it, so we will wait to see what comes back for my youngest. This has been quite a journey....

Thanks for any insight!

As the tests check for a reaction to the gluten, he needs to be having gluten for a while in order to see that reaction in the blood tests. He should be eating gluten for a few months. The fact that he's so young makes it tricky - the tests are unreliable in children under two years anyway. With being so young, having been gluten-free for six weeks is not insignificant, as he may well heal fairy quickly. Getting tested right now just isn't going to give you a good chance of having reasonable results.

There's a question of whether or not you need the blood tests, or can go off of dietary results (which are a valid diagnostic test as well). There's also the option of loading him up on gluten for another four to six weeks, doing the test, taking him gluten free, and trying again in two years or so if the tests are negative. It's a tough call, and there isn't an established 'right' answer, unfortunately