• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest Ang

Traveling To Banff/lake Louise

Rate this topic

Guest Ang

I am going on my first trip away from home, and would like some recommendations on any gluten-free friendly restaurants or stores in this area. I'm not sure how much of my own safe food I should pack along. We'll be going for almost a week, with a fair amount of exercise, so I'll be hungry! I could easily dedicate a whole bag of food, but I'm hoping it's not necessary!

I live in Canmore (about 15 minutes outside of Banff) and The Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company here in town has gluten free pasta. I'd probably call ahead of time (403-609-5508) because they were out the day I went there, but even still they have really good salads.

In Banff, you can go to Nourish (403-760-3933) in the Sundance Mall (downtown Banff). The lady who works there seemed to know about gluten free stuff, but the man not so much. He told me anything that was vegan was okay to eat.

In one of the Celiac Association newsletters I remember reading an article about Num-Ti-Jah Lodge (403-522-2167) on Highway 93 (about 30 minutes past Lake Louise) and I think they were supposed to be pretty knowledgeable about stuff too.

Those are the ones I've been to/have heard more about, but also check out this website http://www.calgaryceliac.com/ and click on "Local Restaurants" for some more options.

For stores in Canmore, I usually go to Nutters-the health food store. Safeway also has a section with gluten free foods. I'm not sure if the Safeway in Banff has the same selection or not. In Lake Louise there's only one grocery store and it's really overpriced for everything. I doubt there would be any specialty gluten free foods there.

Hope this helps.. let me know if you have any more questions!

Heather

No the Safeway in Banff does not have the same selection as the Canmore Safeway.

There is a natural health store called Weeds & Seeds (211 Bear Street #103 phone# 403-760-5060) in Banff. They carry things like Glutano breakfast bars, gluten-free cereal, and other gluten-free snack type items.

Coyotes restaurant has real chefs and they can accomodate gluten-free, but I would call ahead.

Definitely like Heather said, if you need to stock up on items go to Nutters in Canmore. They are great.

Kellers is the other grocery store in Banff.

Guest Ang

Thanks so much!

I will write down these names and numbers and have a more enjoyable trip knowing in advance where to go. I didn't want to spend most of my time walking around, asking for help!

My husband tells me it has taken me too long to appreciate the internet for help like this. I guess I've never had a need like this until now, and boy, is it a lifesaver!

Thanks again!