• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

prinsessa

Why Is Celiac Not An Allergic Reaction?

Rate this topic

I'm still kind of confused why Celiac is not considered an allergic reaction. I have even saw allergic reactions mentioned on some websites that were describing Celiac. I am doing a presentation on Celiac this next week and I want to know how to describe the difference to people. That is the only thing I have having problems understanding. Thanks for any help!

an allergic reaction means one that is mediated by the IgE immune molecule family. celiac disease is not mediated by that chemical pathway. it is mediated by the IgG and IgA immune molecule family. that's why it is an intolerance, not an allergy. one ramification of this difference is that celiac disease does not have the potential to cause anaphylactic shock, which IgE allergies have to potential to do. that is not to say that celiac disease is not serious - something can be very serious without causing anaphylactic reactions, of course.

only it's not like lactose intolerance, because it's not that a missing enzyme keeps a sugar from being broken down which is later broken down by bacteria. lactose intolerance (like most sugar intolerances), are misnomers of a sort, because they're all about enzyme deficiencies, and are actually benign, if quite a pain, symptomatically. and they can be 'treated' by taking the enzyme. there is no analogous 'treatment' for protein based intolerances.

This may help.

http://www.dietitians.ca/english/pdf/Food_...h_factsheet.pdf

Food sensitivity occurs when a person experiences symptoms after eating a food that is tolerated by most people.

Food sensitivities can be classified as:

Food allergy. Food allergy results when the immune system reacts to a food or food ingredient. The immune system launches an attack when the offending food is consumed. Chemical substances are released that may cause a reaction in the skin, digestive system, respiratory and/or cardiovascular systems. A variety of symptoms can occur minutes to several hours after eating. Reactions can range from mild to severe, the most severe being anaphylaxis.

Food Intolerance. Food intolerance is a reaction to a food or food ingredient that does not involve the immune system. The intolerance may be caused by low levels of digestive enzymes or an abnormal sensitivity to certain substances in foods.

Celiac Disease This is life-long condition that affects both children and adults with a genetic predisposition to react to gluten (the protein found in wheat, rye and barley). Gluten triggers an autoimmune toxic reaction and can result in a wide variety of symptoms.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I understand it a little better. The IgE thing makes sense to me. I just don't want someone to ask me about it and not know how to explain it to them.