• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

treeclimber

Recipes For Masa As Ingredient?

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anybody had recipes using masa? I know how to use it for tortillas and tamales, and I have a recipe for sweet corn cake, like at Chi Chi's (more like a moist corn pudding, I think). It is just such a wonderful texture. I feel it would be good maybe in gluten-free bread mixes, or maybe in desserts. Could it be used in maybe a savory pie crust? Do you know of any other Mexican foods that use it? I know it is used as a thickener sometimes. I also use it to coat fish when I fry it. It's wonderful that way! I get such a big bag of it and it takes me forever to use it! Any Ideas?

Masa is corn flour, right? If so, I use it in my main flour blend for cookies and cakes. I use Carol Fenster's sorghum/corn flour blend.

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1/1/2 cups potato starch

1 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup corn flour* or substitute chestnut flour, or bean flour

*grind white cornmeal into flour with small coffee grinder

I can only find yellow corn flour, so that's what I use.

I just found a recipe for corn tortillas, so as soon as I can find a tortilla press, I'm going to try them. The ones I've tried (2 different brands) are awful. Thick and impossible to roll.

Guest nini

I just found out that La Mas Rica instant corn masa from Aldi's is definitely considered gluten-free, so I was considering buying a bag, would love to hear of more recipes... I was going to attempt tamales, cos I LOVE tamales...

Here is a recipe for tamales, I havent tried it yet.. too much going on this week.. but i will be.

Cheesy-Chicken Tamales

4oz dried cornhusks (about 20 husks)

2/3 cup quick cooking or old fashioned grits (not instant)

1 1/4 cups chicken stock

3/4 cup cup masa harina

2 teaspoons gruond cumin

1 cup lard or vegetable shortening

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken

1/2 pound monterey jack or mild cheddar, coarsely grated

4 poblano chilies, roasted, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped

In a saucepan place the dried cornhusks, add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Top the husks with a heavy plate or bowl to keep submerged, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove fromt he heat and steep until soft and pliable, 1 to 1 1/2 hours./ Drain remove and corn silk and pat dry before assembling the tamales.

For the masa: In the bowl of a food processor, process the grits for a minute. In a small saucepan bring 1 1/4 cups of the chicken stock to a low boil. Transfer the grits toa bowl and add the hot chicken stock. Let stand uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes. Add the masa harina and cumin and mix until evenly combined Cool to room temp before processing

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the lard until smooth, light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Stir in half of the masa mixture and whip until well blended. Add remaining masa mixture, little by little, until mixture resembles a thick cake batter, adding chicken stock as needed. Add the baking powder and add salt to taste and whip for 1-2 minutes until well incorporated and smooth.

lay 1 cornhusk on a work surface with the narrow end closest to you. Top with a second corn husk so sthat the fat ends are in the middle and narrow ends out. Spoon 1/4 cup of the masa batter into the center where the husks join and with the back of a spoon, spread it into a 4 inch square. Place about 1 generous tablespoon each of the chicken, grated cheese and chopped poblano in the center of each masa square.

fold 1 side of the cornhusk over the filling, pulling it tight and tucking it under the filling. Fold the other side over the filling and then top the bottom and ends with a piece of kitchen string or a thin piece of leftover husk, tie the tamale together loosely so that it resembles an oblong rectangular package. Repeat with the remaining corn husks and filling.

Once they are assembled, line a steamer basket with any remaining husks and layer the tamales inside the steamer basket, leaving enough room for the tamales to expand slightly while cooking. Cover tamales with another remaining cornhusks, cover steamer with a tight fittting lid and steam for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender and tamale easily pulls away from cornhusk. let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving

Enjoy

this recipe was gotten off of food network.. so i cant take any credit, i still hope its good

Chicken Enchilada Soup

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

1/2 cup diced onion

1 clove garlic, minced

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup masa harina

3 cups water, divided

1 cup enchilada sauce

1 pound processed cheese, cubed

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Brown chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Shred and set aside.

To the pot add onions and garlic; saute for 2 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Pour in chicken broth.

In a medium bowl combine masa harina with 2 cups of water and whisk until well blended.

To the onions and garlic add the masa harina mixture, remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil; add shredded chicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until thickened.

Garnish with tortilla strips and avocado, if desired. Enjoy!

gluten-free Pigs in a Blanket

2 cups masa harina

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup warm water

24 gluten-free beef cocktail franks

In a bowl combine the masa harina and salt slowly adding the water until the dough can be rolled into a ball. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 1 hour.

Separate the dough into 24 equal pieces rolling them into little balls. Using a rolling pin roll out the dough so that it is about 1/2-inch thick. Place a cocktail frank on the edge of the dough and roll up tucking the ends underneath the frank. Repeat the process until you've used up all of the dough and franks.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place franks on a sheet pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with a side of gluten-free spicy mustard

Chocolate Tamales YUMMMMY!

I N G R E D I E N T S

6 cups fresh masa dough

1/3 cup packed light brown sugar (or piloncillo)

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

12 large dried corn husks, soaked, washed and drained, with pieces shredded for ties

2 cups premium semisweet chocolate chips or Ibarra Mexican chocolate, chopped into small pieces

2 cups fresh whipped cream (optional)

I N S T R U C T I O N S

Prepare masa. You can also use Masa Instantanza if you wish. Prepare according to the package directions.

In a large bowl, combine the masa, brown sugar, and vanilla until well blended.

To assemble the tamales, place 1/2 cup of the masa in the center of the smooth side of a corn husk. Using the back of a wet tablespoon, make an indentation in the center of the masa and fill with 1 1/2 tablespoons or more of the chocolate chips. Fold both sides of the husk tightly in over the masa mixture and tie a t both ends. Repeat for the reaming tamales. Steam the tamales for 55 minutes. Serve plain or with whipping cream.

This isn't Mexican, but I found it once in a barbecue cookbook--- Masa biscuits-- use your favorite biscuit recipe, but substitute Masa for half of the flour. When I made these I was still eating wheat, but I'm sure you could adapt it to a gluten free version. Makes a tasty & tender biscuit, especially good with apricot jam.

Also, for a party once I made little tamale pies, patting tamale dough into mini-muffin tins, filling with various yummies like black beans, sauteed peppers, cheese... then steam-baking in a water bath. (As you do with custards.) They were yummy & much faster than tamales. Can't find the recipe now but I was probably winging it as I do a lot of that!

I'm newly diagnosed so I'm looking forward to lots of experimentation in the kitchen... if I come up with any more masa ideas I'll post them.

Buen provecha!

Leah