• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest nini

I Just Love My Daughter's School!

Rate this topic

Guest nini

This week is "Field Day" week and today is grades Kindergarten and 1st Grade... my daughter is in Kindergarten and not only Celiac, but allergic to wheat... if she even touches it she breaks out in hives. Traditionally every year they do a chicken roll, where the kids take rubber chickens and roll them in flour and do relay races. I didn't want to keep my daughter home from school this whole week and then have to worry about the whole school being contaminated, because the kids will have flour all over them, so I offered to buy rice flour for the entire Kindergarten and 1st grade (not a big expense cos a case of it at the Chinese market is only $13)... anyway, the school nurse just called me and said the rest of the team leaders for the other grades were talking about it and decided they would take up a donation of money if I would go buy more rice flour for the rest of the grades for their field days the rest of this week! How thoughtful? They don't want to risk any part of the school being contaminated with flour for her! (besides the cafeteria of course but that's always a given... and has not been an issue) I don't know about you, but I am so touched that they are being this concerned that they don't even want the other grades to expose her to this!

I think that is GREAT. You are so lucky that the school really cares.