This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Nuts!

VydorScope

Mango04 Enthusiast
Well the egg salad had 3 "large" eggs, a squirt of mustard, a splatering of kroger mirical whip, and a splash of salad dressing. :)

If you haven't been feeling right, you might want to be careful with commercial salad dressings that are full of things like high fructose corn syrup and such.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient
it's just not that simple - it depends on the proportions and the ingredients. most egg salads I've seen have potatoes in them, but if it's just eggs and mayo, then you've got room in there for some chips to round it out. drinking a whole soda on that probably would add too much sugar, but until you've gotten the hang of this, you're going to have to get out either a spreadsheet, fitday.com, or pen/paper/calculator and do the math. you could have those items if you balance them properly, though.

well appearently that meal was the wrong answer. Ugh. OKay guess I gotta dig trhough the pantry and come up wth somthing for dinner.. if my head clears enough to do that!

aikiducky Apprentice

You don't seem to eat a lot of vegetables, is there a reason for that? It's the easiest way to get a lot of variety in your diet, veggies are gluten and milk free and won't mess up your blood sugar. I usually eat veg & meat or fish for both lunch and dinner - don't even feel the need for a snack. :)

Pauliina

VydorScope Proficient
You don't seem to eat a lot of vegetables, is there a reason for that? It's the easiest way to get a lot of variety in your diet, veggies are gluten and milk free and won't mess up your blood sugar. I usually eat veg & meat or fish for both lunch and dinner - don't even feel the need for a snack. :)

Pauliina

POTATO CHIPS ARE VEGGIES!! :lol::lol:

But right now it seems like anything I eat is making me sick jsut trying to find a base line... adding new veggies does not fit with that plan. I do eat veggies, love fresh garden salads....

VydorScope Proficient

ugh I realy dunno what to do. I cant find any combo of food in the hose that makes the to 25/50/25.... im to sick to eat rignt now anyways so I guess I will jsut fast instead...

tarnalberry Community Regular
ugh I realy dunno what to do. I cant find any combo of food in the hose that makes the to 25/50/25.... im to sick to eat rignt now anyways so I guess I will jsut fast instead...

fasting can make the issue worse, as your blood sugar goes down further..

an apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter is certainly better than nothing, even if it's not precise. the main point is not to have too much carbs. if all you can do is have a hardboiled egg on those salads you have, do that. just don't have things that are primarily carbs on their own, and don't fast - that will make the problem worse.

penguin Community Regular

Definitely don't fast! If you're hypoglycemic, it'll make you sicker and turn you into a monster. I know that a hypoglycemic episode, especially a bad one, turns me into a shrew. Can I get an amen?

Passing out isn't so fun, eat something!

Personally, I would make the ratio agoal to attain over time . It's not a cut-and-dried thing like being gluten-free. Everyone is different, and the ratios are a guideline. Personally, I use an even less ratio of carbs because they make me feel crappy, and years of having my mom cram an egg or cheese down my throat when I was cranky and shakey has taught me to just strive for protein. Carbs and fat tend to occur naturally in our American diet, gluten-free or not. I, by the way, don't count my ratios, and never have. Like having other restrictions, it becomes automatic and you learn what you can do.

One thing I like to do is have peanut butter on corn thins or rice cakes. Skippy makes a sqeezable peanut butter and rice cakes are easy to keep around. A decent breakfast is peanut butter on a couple of rice cakes/corn cakes and orange juice. You get carbs from the cakes and oj, and protein and fat from the peanut butter.

A diet conscious of hypoglycemia (I say that because you don't need a hypoglycemia diet) is one that strives for balance and that you make sure to eat more often. 5 to 6 small meals a day should be your target. Always carry snacks.

It's not something to stress too much over, just make sure you eat enough, often enough and the problem takes care of itself. You might want to look into foods with a low glycemic index, because those foods burn slower. Apples with peanut butter, for example, has a very low glycemic index. Hummus and veggies would be a good choice, also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Help me out here, cuase Im getting consused here...

Hypoglycima is LOW blood sugar, so I should eat more sugar... but you say cut sugar, and eat protien and fasts?

Guest nini

dietary sugar is different from blood sugar... dietary sugar is burned off too quickly, carbs convert to blood sugar in simple terms...

VydorScope Proficient
dietary sugar is different from blood sugar... dietary sugar is burned off too quickly, carbs convert to blood sugar in simple terms...

Umm fats, carbs, and proteins all convert to glucose, just at different rates. glucose is the only fuel your cells can use. Soooo not sure what your saying?

hypoglycemia is just a condition of having low blood sugar. what is actually causing it is far more complicated. diabetics can become hypoglycemic when they take too much insulin. those who have reactive hypoglycemia instead tend to be hyper sensitive to sugars, 'stashing' them into their cells too quickly, causing the level of sugar in the blood to drop too quickly. that's why this is treated a bit differently than blood sugar lows caused by insulin-treated diabetes.

the goal here is to not get in a state of low blood sugar, to release blood sugars from the stomach slowly, so that you don't get a spike in blood sugar which would cause the cells to uptake blood sugar quickly and cause the subsequent low. because these things are similar, but different, it's worth being checked for diabetes if you're suspicious of blood sugar issues.

chelsE's right - the exact percentages aren't the vital point, and I'm sorry if putting them up confused you. using what fitday puts in for it's values won't help either, because you're not eating their food, you're eating your own food. you need to calculate the macronutrients on what's going into your mouth, and find out works for you. I find that I don't have to be so strict if I'm good about not getting too many carbs, but it's important to moderate it at every meal.

take a look around your kitchen and start planning now. even if it means dumping a can of tuna on your salad, eating a hard boiled egg with your breakfast cereal, putting grilled chicken on your pasta, whatever... just look at the macronutrient balance of all your meals and see what you can do to improve it. just eating sugar will temporarily increase blood sugar, but as the insulin is produced by the pancrease, it'll just decrease dramatically again, and make you feel crappy again.

Umm fats, carbs, and proteins all convert to glucose, just at different rates. glucose is the only fuel your cells can use. Soooo not sure what your saying?

When you're hypoglycemic, you process the glucose too quickly. Think of it as a campfire. You can start a fire with pine needles, but it'll burn out really quickly. You need slower burning fuel, like a dry log.

Think of raisins as pine needles, and peanut butter as a dry log. They both burn up the same way, but they do it at different speeds.

OK, so the analogy isn't perfect, but the idea is there.

Fasting will make your blood sugar bottom out, and you'll have even worse symptoms. Right now, your diet is made up primarily of simple carbs. Pine needles. You need more logs.

The apple brings up the blood sugar, and the peanut butter helps keep it there since it burns more slowly. Does that make any sense?

VydorScope Proficient

Well couple months ago I took an AC1 blood test and it was normal. I dont recall the number, I think it was 5, so that pretty much rules out diabeate from what I understand.

Oka for example I have a bowl of sorbet here that I made last night (yummy!!), so should I eat a hamburger with it? Its pretty lean, 91% Or what? I have real peanutbutter also, not that fake skippy stuff :P.

Ive suspect blood sugar for a while cause of near-passout episodes (gotten very light headed and imdeadilty found my self eating rasins, sometimes eat half a can before I come too...) but my luck with answers from tests has been well non-existant. :(

Well couple months ago I took an AC1 blood test and it was normal. I dont recall the number, I think it was 5, so that pretty much rules out diabeate from what I understand.

There are two types of hypoglycemia. Reactive and fasting, and those are the two types that occur in people without diabetes.

In reactive hypoglycemia, you get symptoms a few hours after eating. In fasting hypoglycemia, you wake up hypoglycemic. Fasting hypoglycemia is thought of as pre-diabetic.

I am reactive. I can go until noon without eating and be fine, but I can eat at 7am and be starving to death by 10am. (BTW: I ALWAYS eat breakfast. Screws me for the rest of the day if I don't, because then I do nothing but snack!)

Much more detailed information is here Open Original Shared Link

As we all know from our celiac disease testing, tests aren't always accurate. Besides, if they tested your blood sugar when you weren't having symptoms, it's going to come out normal. That's why when they test for it, you go in fasting, you drink glucose syrup, and see how long it takes you to crash, if you crash at all. They test your blood sugar at that time in increments.

Ive suspect blood sugar for a while cause of near-passout episodes (gotten very light headed and imdeadilty found my self eating rasins, sometimes eat half a can before I come too...) but my luck with answers from tests has been well non-existant. :(

The body has a way of using cravings to get what it needs. Your body knows you like raisins, and that they have sugar, so when the body needs sugar badly, you crave raisins. That's fine, for a quick fix, but ideally, get protein in you quick after that. Eat a spoonful of real ( :P ) peanut butter, eat a tuna sandwich, whatever you gotta do or you'll keep going up and down.

I keep the squeezy skippy around for travel, especially when I don't trust the local utensils :P

VydorScope Proficient

So your saying next time Im out and aobut.. grab a snickers? :)

But seriously... thank you for all the posts here.. I am wondering if my problem has jsut be sugar all along. The best health of my life was when I was doing Aktins.

So I think Im gonan dish out some sorbet and a few bunless burgers and see if I sruvice that. I fairly light headed and nuasues right now....

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have a question, you mentioned Baked Lays ... they have modified food starch, anyone know if they're gluten-free?

I agree that it's probably a hypoglycemic problem, but in reading through this I was wondering about the Lays.

Anytime I'm going to have something high in carbs, I'll include some kind of protein. Like, a handful of raw nuts or some plain yogurt with fruit. Maybe eat your chips with your burger instead of as a snack later. I'll often fry an egg to go with whatever I'm eating. The idea is to give yourself food that gives you something for "later" to go with your simple sugar that is for "now." Otherwise, you have a spike in blood sugar, then the low blood sugar follows the spike, like it did for me the other night when I split a pint of Haagen Dazs with my husband close to bed time! I felt really bad in the morning.

I loved everyone's ideas.

Carla

VydorScope Proficient
I have a question, you mentioned Baked Lays ... they have modified food starch, anyone know if they're gluten-free?

The "Natural" ones that I have here do not, just potateos, salt, and oil. :)

yep, something with fat or protein (or both!) to go with the sorbet is good. this is why a balanced meal of grilled meats and vegetables is a good idea - you're getting the combination of what you need. look at your meals, and if you've got just a bunch of carbs, but no fat or protein to go with it, you'll know you'll have a problem iwth that. but remember that it doesn't have to just be protein - fat helps moderate the insulin response as well.

(rice cakes w/ peanut butter is often a breakfast for me as well. and the hypoglycemia is why I add flax meal, or hemp seeds to my hot cereal. eggs on rice cakes is good for breakfast as well. yogurt with nuts and fruit works too.)

VydorScope Proficient

for breakfast tommorow. hard boiled eggs, my cocoa puffs and the dairfree milk? That work? Just need some kind of foundation once I get used to this I think I will be fine... assuming this si rigth!

for breakfast tommorow. hard boiled eggs, my cocoa puffs and the dairfree milk? That work? Just need some kind of foundation once I get used to this I think I will be fine... assuming this si rigth!

that'd be too much sugar for me - cocoa puffs have a lot of sugar - but you'll only know if it'll work once you try it. it's *highly* personal, and there isn't a universal right or wrong answer. see how it goes tomorrow.

VydorScope Proficient

My wife pointed out that all my food probelms have been with high carb foods like cholate cake and choloate milk. And maybe I dont have a dariy/etc problem that maybe Im just this hypo stuff.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
this is where a hard-core elimination diet can help. they suck, and they require a lot of pre-planning, and did I mention they suck. (they are harder mentally, than physically, because you are litterally eating no more than a dozen foods in a week, and maybe only four or five in a day - that includes your spices and cooking tools like oils.) the basic premise is that you go do a very low number of very easy to digest, very hypoallergenic foods - you'll want to do some research on them, I certainly don't remember (I do know grapes weren't on the list). you eat nothing but those foods for two weeks. then you add in other foods, one at a time, one week at a time. it is a long, slow, mentally challenging process. it's HARD. but it is better than the 'eliminate one thing at a time' route, if you're dealing with multiple intolerances.

VydorScope -- I know what you are going through... I have been forced to do this... I really agree with tarnalberry. She's smart. Have you read the Open Original Shared Link? Think simple - 'caveman simple' it's the only way. Then add into your diet things little by little and you will see what you can tolerate. She is right [it's NOT easy and HARD]. People need to take celiac disease serious.

I thought it would be a cake-walk. It was for 5 years - and then all these secondary allergies and illnesses showed up. I know no one wants to listen to me beat my drum about SOY. But Vincent read a couple of these books, you're sharp you pick up fast. Soy is bad for us. It says it in these and many respected books. Did you read Dangerous Grains? We have to eliminate certain foods then rotate our other foods and not eat the same things over-and-over, that is how we get allergies or intolerance to it. We get enviromental triggers too. I that read another very good book about what triggers our systems from childhood and the progressions through out our lives. In Dangerous Grains he explains how most of us get it (other intolerance/allergies), its only time...

So back to simple - try a simple diet for a few weeks.

I have been able to gain about 9-lbs in the past few weeks, or month. This is what I'm doing. I'm going to my chiropractor 2 times a week, he's resetting my system a justing my digestion. He has me eating my large meal for breakfast. So Vincent -- Coffee and fruit don't cut it! I know -- It was my rountine my entire life. Not now. I eat dinner for breakfast. It's silly isn't it?! Once you do it a couple times you can make it a habit. Today I had my coffee but with a my breakfast meal, baked carrots & chicken, baked zucchini with tarragon w/olive oil. I had a 4 banana smoothie with frozen blackberries, and frozen raspberries for a mid-day snack.

Banana's do wonders for us. I've just found several old medical articles from the early 1900s where they were treating Celiac babies with huge amounts of bannanas back then. As research would come to show it helped them as they aged and it works for them gaining weight with celiac disease. I'm going to try to post the articles how to bake or the process to use them, and many are very helpful things mentioned in the press then.

Eating a good breakfast in the morning is also essential

She's right!

Forget cereal for breakfast if you can't do dairy (or soy) -- have protein, a burger, chicken, turkey, tuna or fish, with steamed veggies. No starchy veggies. Try it let your imagination get creative you just have to plan ahead. Stay away from potato chips, the oil they use might be more of a problem with CC. Also with potatoes you might have a problem with dealdy night shade veggies. Look at legumes also. Break the foods into there groups and see which ones give you symptons and which don't.

Oh, one last thing when I feel weak, frail, or like I don't have blood in my veins (for a lack of better term) I drink Open Original Shared Link baby electrolyte replacement drink. It will help balance your blood sugar, and replenish what your body needs after steatorrhea diarrhea, or just feeling sick. It helps when I feel a headache coming on sometimes. It's about $4 or $5 a bottle. Get the unflavored, so no chance of a problem with 'flavoring'. Healther then sports drinks. You can find it on the baby isle in Walmart, Wagreens, CVS, just about anywhere. They also sell as 'Whole Foods' as a powered electrolye packages you mix with water. They work, but for me too many additives. This stuff helps me a lot more. Buy some, try it. It works!

One last thing -- DRINK DISTILLED WATER ONLY!

Be well - hope you feel better soon!

eKatherine Rookie

I've found if I eat sugar in the morning, I crash, if I eat starch, I am hungry all day, but if I eat eggs - 2 eggs any way - I am fine until lunch.

debmidge Rising Star

As someone who has serious allergies: mold, sulfites, penicillin, fur, dander, feathers, trees, wool, dust and mites, pollen, grass, etc. I can attest to fact that certain foods will give you a tummy ache if you have allergies. They are dried fruits (raisins) because they hold mold and sometimes are treated with sulfites. Melons have mold; sometimes bananas are a source of allergy and your upper palate will itch after you eat one. Herb teas can cause stomach upset as they are either moldy or contain allergen (grasses). Vinegar has mold. Leftovers have mold (I was told by allergist if I am to eat leftovers, make sure they less than a few days old to keep mold number down). Most wine has sulfites; salad bars have sulfites.

Test to see if you have grass allergy: walk on newly mowed lawn and see if your feet itch.

Sometimes two things that don't normally bother your allergies when combined will bother your allergies.

Allergy to shellfish gives you a different allergic reaction; that is deadly reaction. Thankfully I am not allergic to shellfish.

Don't want to confuse you anymore than you already are...but if your tummy is bothering you and you have mold allergies you might want to skip the raisins.

Archived