This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Nuts!

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient
check my recipes post? ;-)

LOL dunno how I forgot about that thread you sure put alot of work in to it!

basic premise: make your vegetables and meat around the same size. cook your meat first, and cook your vegetables in the order of which ones can stand the head the longest. here's a very simple one:

cut up boneless chicken thighs into cubes (about four slices across the long way, and then into cubes)

cut up a red bell pepper into roughly 1" squares

wash about a pound of sugar snap peas (or snow peas, I think those are lower in sugar)

heat a 12" skillet (or a wok if you've got one), then add 2 tbsp canola oil (or chili oil). add chili flakes (if you've got 'em), then the chicken, stirring/flipping off and on until it's nearly cooked through, about six minutes. add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce (I think you're doing soy, if not, let me know and we'll go non-soy routes.) add the peas, and cook, stirring, until it's turning a brighter green and just barely cooked through, about three minutes. add the bell pepper, stirring for 30 seconds or so, and remove from the heat. all done, and only one pot and possibly two plates dirty.

other vegetables that work well for stir fries: bean sprouts, carrots, bok choy, onions, broccoli, zucchini, baby corn, and mushrooms. you can also add fresh (or dried) garlic or ginger or jalapeno (or other chili pepper). you can serve over rice (preferrably brown or wild), or eat on it's own if you put a lot of veggies in with it.

Well that sounds simple enough... dont have a wok though, but I guess thats something I could invest in if need be.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tarnalberry Community Regular
LOL dunno how I forgot about that thread you sure put alot of work in to it!

Well that sounds simple enough... dont have a wok though, but I guess thats something I could invest in if need be.

eh... I use my Open Original Shared Link most of the time anyway, unless I'm making two stir-fries. (Best pan ever! And Amazon still has them for $25, instead of $170!! I can't believe it!!! Get one!!!! :lol: Really, it's a *fabulous* multipurpose pot... the only thing I don't cook in it is soup, because I make more soup than it will hold.)

the recipe post I mentioned has more stir-fry recipes, and you can get really creative, and use all kinds of different spices/seasonings/ingredients. cutting the items differently (cubed/squared versus long strips, or large versus small) produces interesting variations as well.

VydorScope Proficient

I wonder if I am so tired cause of going cold turkey with cafine.....

VydorScope Proficient

OKay tell me if Im getting closer :)

Breakfast: Meatloaf (grain free) coverd wth mozzeral and cheddar cheese + an orange

2nd Breakfast: SB Proten Bar (5f/12c/10p) + a bannana

Lunch: (assuming Imake it to lunch LOL) Letuice+Tomateo+Hardboil Egg

After lucnh all I will have left is a another PB Protien bar till I get home.

elye Community Regular

You should probably add some carb to your lunch...one serving, like a slice of bread, crackers, you know the drill...it's a good idea to make sure you remember the size of a carb serving, cause of course too much ain't good. How are you feeling, now that you're getting closer and you're flu-free?

VydorScope Proficient
You should probably add some carb to your lunch...one serving, like a slice of bread, crackers, you know the drill...it's a good idea to make sure you remember the size of a carb serving, cause of course too much ain't good. How are you feeling, now that you're getting closer and you're flu-free?

Major lunch change! Company having a meeting, at a nearby resturant called O'Charlies. Boy that will shure complicate this! :huh:

I agree with elye - you're eating atkins, not hypo... need a bit more balance, but you're getting there, and I'll count it as progress. :-) hope you keep feeling better. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

Yikes, O'Charlies! I miss that place! Good luck with that!

VydorScope Proficient
I agree with elye - you're eating atkins, not hypo... need a bit more balance, but you're getting there, and I'll count it as progress. :-) hope you keep feeling better. :-)

Soo then the "breakfast"(s) were the right idea, but the lucnh (orginal) plan needs more carbs? The lettuice mix was realy one of the baged salads Dole Very Veggie + tomateo.

Yea appear to be be ocer the stomache thing at least... thansk!

elye Community Regular

Yep...some carb with every meal....

VydorScope Proficient
Yep...some carb with every meal....

Sooo fresh veggies dont count as carbs... or they just not enough? I think Tiffinay is right, I thinking way more restrictive on carbs then I should be...

Mango04 Enthusiast
Sooo fresh veggies dont count as carbs... or they just not enough? I think Tiffinay is right, I thinking way more restrictive on carbs then I should be...

Veggies and fruits are carbs. I don't know if you specifically need starchy carbs for the hypo thing though.

veggies are carbs, but you have to look at how much carbs they have. even a sweet pepper doesn't have that much... a whole pepper has 7g. (check the handy dandy usda nutrient database!)

VydorScope Proficient
veggies are carbs, but you have to look at how much carbs they have. even a sweet pepper doesn't have that much... a whole pepper has 7g. (check the handy dandy usda nutrient database!)

grrrr okay fine, still not enough carbs I'll add a chololate doughnut next time :lol::lol::lol:

(did not end up eating that lunch had a three chees bacon burger with fries instead...)

elye Community Regular

The classic ol' diabetes diet, which in the face of all the new "cutting edge" eating plans that bombard us through the years, has always stood the test of time in my perspective, and teaches that ONLY starchy veggies, ie. potatoes, corn, peas and legumes, have enough carbohydrate in them to count as a carb exchange. So I always count the other veggies as necessary antioxidant and vitamin sources, and not much else. I'm sure that train of though would work for hypos, as well...

VydorScope Proficient

UGH I am in so much pain this AM. work up this way. Dunno what I did wrong. through out my stomache section. Must be bloated too cause pants dont fit. Major meetings not only at work today, but at home have to meet with the city about my son's specail turtors cant be down today! :angry:

Breakfast was meatloaf+cheese+orange again but I was starting to get this pain befor then.

The classic ol' diabetes diet, which in the face of all the new "cutting edge" eating plans that bombard us through the years, has always stood the test of time in my perspective, and teaches that ONLY starchy veggies, ie. potatoes, corn, peas and legumes, have enough carbohydrate in them to count as a carb exchange. So I always count the other veggies as necessary antioxidant and vitamin sources, and not much else. I'm sure that train of though would work for hypos, as well...

"carb exchange" ? Whats that?

elye Community Regular

A carb exchange is a serving of carbohydrate in diabetes lingo...I forget the gram # of carbs that foods must have to qualify as a carbohydrate serving. Virtually all fruits count as carb exchanges, and of course grain. But as I said, only a few veggies have enough carboydrate in them to count and make any difference in your BS levels. You may want to check out the diabetic diet and all of its info on carb foods and serving sizes. Easy to google... :)

Mango04 Enthusiast
UGH I am in so much pain this AM. work up this way. Dunno what I did wrong. through out my stomache section. Must be bloated too cause pants dont fit. Major meetings not only at work today, but at home have to meet with the city about my son's specail turtors cant be down today! :angry:

Breakfast was meatloaf+cheese+orange again but I was starting to get this pain befor then.

"carb exchange" ? Whats that?

Have you been eating dairy and gluten again? Is that contributing to the problem?

unless you're the type who isn't food of starchy vegetables and eats gobs of the other kind. :P (but I do mean GOBS.)

I was going to ask, Vincent... what'd you have for dinner the night before? (was it enough?) and is an orange enough carbs for breakfast? that's only, 15g? 20g? something small, as I recall...

dlp252 Apprentice
UGH I am in so much pain this AM. work up this way. Dunno what I did wrong. through out my stomache section. Must be bloated too cause pants dont fit. Major meetings not only at work today, but at home have to meet with the city about my son's specail turtors cant be down today!

It could also be the restaurant meal you ate yesterday...I've been reacting more slowly these days to stuff like that. I ate a half a Krispy Creme donut yesterday (don't ask--I just don't know what came over me--it was the first time I've done something like that since October), and I'm just now starting to feel the effects...big bloated tummy, gas, lightheadeded (although having that a lot lately so don't think it's related), pain in my abdomen.

VydorScope Proficient
Have you been eating dairy and gluten again? Is that contributing to the problem?

Gluten is not a problem for me (yet?), only for my son. And not had any dairy (or gluten) yet today (well at time of taht post). House is gluten-free for our son's sake, so dinner, desert, etc all gluten-free. I am sure dairy in of itsself is not an issue, aside form sugar angle.

Pain has passed. I am wondering it was a gas poket from having my insides viloently emptied durring that stomache thing, then dumping food on top of it.

unless you're the type who isn't food of starchy vegetables and eats gobs of the other kind. :P (but I do mean GOBS.)

I was going to ask, Vincent... what'd you have for dinner the night before? (was it enough?) and is an orange enough carbs for breakfast? that's only, 15g? 20g? something small, as I recall...

Dinner was Cheeseburger cassarole (umm, just about zero carbs) and some of those no-counting-veggies for I guess no-carbs, and added som tostitio salsa to it for probably no real amount of more carbs, BUT before you panic.. I plan that so I could have my Ice Cream, but its "no sugar added" so umm like 12 carbs or somthing like that... your gonna tell me not enough carbs arnt you... :(

Since break fast (that was aourn 430am its now 11am) I have had hardboiled egg in no-counting-saladveggie bed, an orange, a SB Protien bar, and 1 serving of Cocoapuffs (about 25carbs) in 4 oz of whole milk. And pain is gone right now... but all I have left is a banana an another protien bar LOL. Gotta find an altertive for those bars but they are good....

Mango04 Enthusiast
Gluten is not a problem for me (yet?), only for my son. And not had any dairy (or gluten) yet today (well at time of taht post). House is gluten-free for our son's sake, so dinner, desert, etc all gluten-free. I am sure dairy in of itsself is not an issue, aside form sugar angle.

But did you eat dairy or gluten yesterday, or the day before, or the day before that? If so, and if you weren't feeling great today, the dairy or gluten could still be contributing to the problem. It sometimes takes me several days to react to dairy or gluten (just trying to throw out some possibilities).

VydorScope Proficient
A carb exchange is a serving of carbohydrate in diabetes lingo...I forget the gram # of carbs that foods must have to qualify as a carbohydrate serving. Virtually all fruits count as carb exchanges, and of course grain. But as I said, only a few veggies have enough carboydrate in them to count and make any difference in your BS levels. You may want to check out the diabetic diet and all of its info on carb foods and serving sizes. Easy to google... :)

1 "carb exchange" = 15g carbs. They consider that one serving, under 5 or 6 carbs is a "free food in moderation"

For HypoStuffs do you count fiber? For atkins you subtracted fiber from the carb count when counting carbs.

I swear, the Nutrient Database and Excel (or your open source spreadsheet of choice :P ) are your friends. Keep a running total of what goes into your mouth (get a food scale if you need to), and see what levels of carbs you need to keep YOUR body happy. It's SO different person to person. Think of it like any other science experiement, unfortunately, the only valid test subject is you. :rolleyes: ('cause those 'free carbs' aren't really free - have three servings of those 5g/each things, and you may notice it...)

Fiber has a moderating effect, but it's not as simple as 'taking it away'.

VydorScope Proficient
I swear, the Nutrient Database and Excel (or your open source spreadsheet of choice :P ) are your friends. Keep a running total of what goes into your mouth (get a food scale if you need to), and see what levels of carbs you need to keep YOUR body happy. It's SO different person to person. Think of it like any other science experiement, unfortunately, the only valid test subject is you. :rolleyes: ('cause those 'free carbs' aren't really free - have three servings of those 5g/each things, and you may notice it...)

Fiber has a moderating effect, but it's not as simple as 'taking it away'.

I do use a scale , and the database, and Excel even!

When I was doing Aktins I was close to 100carbs a day to get to a stable condition, which is MUCH higher then recomeded on teh diet, prehaps that what I need to counter the hyposugar stuffs

Archived