This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Nuts!

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient
It seems to vary from person to person, and from diabetic to hypoglycemic, but yes, complex carbs take more work to digest and a longer period to do so--this means a slower, less pronounced rise in BS. When I'm going for a blistering 8 kilometre run (rare these days) I have a big serving of high GI stuff as I'm setting off, and don't worry a whole lot about whether it's complex or not. For me, the high # is all that matters. Figs are excellent. A less intense workout means a snack with a lower number. It is a lot of trial and error, but I know you will be surprised at how quickly you will figure it out. :)

I think you will be surprised at how slowly i figure it out LOL. This is way too much mircomanaging for me LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
penguin Community Regular
I think you will be surprised at how slowly i figure it out LOL. This is way too much mircomanaging for me LOL

I'm very against the micromanagement of my body :)

You'll learn what your body can handle, it just takes time. You may eat a candy bar and say, "wow, I feel really crappy now" or eat a bowl of oatmeal and say, "wow, I feel pretty good" or eat a salad and say, "gee, I didn't get enough sustinance"

It's not so much micromanagement as it is trial and error. Keep in mind people like Tiffany, Emily, and I have been dealing with our respective blood sugars for years, I guarantee you it took us all time to figure it out. Youll get there ;)

elye Community Regular

ChelsE's absolutely right...it sounds like a million stupid little steps and variables right now, but thank god it gets a whole lot easier fairly quickly, or I'd be blind, on dialysis and missing some toes by now. Remember how overwhelming all the information was when you were first dealing with celiac? Same.... :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

actually, chelse had a great idea... if you're willing to bring oats in, oats were, for me, prior to being gluten-free, a fabulous food for my blood sugar - particularly oat bran. it made a great, VERY balanced hot cereal all on it's own. (and was fairly cheap from trader joes.) (oat bran itself is 25/25/50, with oodles of fiber, oatmeal is 15/15/70, with plenty of fiber.) but I realize you might not want to have that in the house with your son.

the hypo diet stuff is very much like learning to ride a bike, or learning to ice skate or learning to ski. your body/mind can't make any sense of it until it makes sense. then it takes some time learning the ins and outs. then it's like 'yeah, this is obvious' and it's all muscle memory, and you wonder how you could have been *that* wobbly. (kinda like photography... once you've gotten reasonable at composing pictures, and you look at the horribly poorly composed pictures your friends take. it becomes second nature to think about composing pictures once you do it for a while, and you don't even have to think about it much to get half way decent composition - you only think about it hard if you want great composition.)

VydorScope Proficient
actually, chelse had a great idea... if you're willing to bring oats in, oats were, for me, prior to being gluten-free, a fabulous food for my blood sugar - particularly oat bran. it made a great, VERY balanced hot cereal all on it's own. (and was fairly cheap from trader joes.) (oat bran itself is 25/25/50, with oodles of fiber, oatmeal is 15/15/70, with plenty of fiber.) but I realize you might not want to have that in the house with your son.

Could store it at work though(for 2nd breakfast :D )... Hmm.. might try it. Never tried Oat Bran.. does it taste at all like Oatmeal? I love Oatmeal rasin cookies... I could easly add rasins and cininamon.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Could store it at work though(for 2nd breakfast :D )... Hmm.. might try it. Never tried Oat Bran.. does it taste at all like Oatmeal? I love Oatmeal rasin cookies... I could easly add rasins and cininamon.

pre-gluten free, I used to like oat bran with rasins and dried cranberrys (you can get a package of them mixed at the store) it was really good. ;)

jerseyangel Proficient

Oat bran muffins are delicious--I used to make them years ago. You can sweeten with maple syrup or brown sugar and add raisins and/or nuts. Easy to carry with you, too. Oh shoot, I forgot you have a gluten-free house. :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

make it just like you make oatmeal, and it tastes like super-oatmeal! (really, just like a slightly more rich oatmeal. I loved that stuff!) you can definitely make it in the microwave at work. making it with milk with raisins and cinnamon would be great! or with cranberries...

ok, I'm gonna stop thinking about it now. :-P

VydorScope Proficient
make it just like you make oatmeal, and it tastes like super-oatmeal! (really, just like a slightly more rich oatmeal. I loved that stuff!) you can definitely make it in the microwave at work. making it with milk with raisins and cinnamon would be great! or with cranberries...

ok, I'm gonna stop thinking about it now. :-P

Kroger has Oat Bran in the ceral isle. I think its like hodges mills or somthing... not recalling the brand. I assume it be fine. Theres no Trader Joe's around here that I know of....

christa Contributor

You sound alot like I was. I literally lived off of chicken and sweet peas for 2 years. Breakfast lunch and supper for the most part. I thought I was going to go insane because like you slowly more and more things were bothering me. I even got sick off plain steamed rice. Nothing on it. I remember my mom made me a plain potatoe and I was really sick after so I just stuck to my chicken and peas. Eventually I made sure I got rid of all gluten aand dairy from my diet and once I had eliminated any potential sources I started adding other things in. The one thing I do still have problems with are if foods are very spicy, fatty or acidic. Apples are okay once in a while but never on an empty stomach and oranges are an absolute nono for me as well as pineapple and other acidy fruits. I like blueberries and bananas as a first choice. I know how youu feel though I thought I was going to starve to death eventually. And people would say try this or try that and I just felt like screaming because it's like I can't everything makes me sick. So hang in there once youu figure out your triggers other foods will come back and your diet will expand

VydorScope Proficient

Welp got the oat bran. Krogers house brand, I guess thers no point in calling to find out if its gluten-free :D Its 3g f, 23g Carbs, 8g protien which is more fat, more protein, and less carbs the the brand name one (hodges mills) they had, and bout the same as the Flaxmeal one they had. Brought it wth me and some cinamon to try later for second breakfast (in about 60-90 mins LOL)

I think I am starting to get better. I have not passed out or puked in a while at least :D

VydorScope Proficient

Still struggling a bit... heres what I did today...

First meal serving of ceral (26 carbs), couple oz of milk and 1/4th pound hamburge with cheese

Second breakfast - bowl of oat bran + cininnmon and splenda

next meal couple of apples and salad and 2 HB eggs

By this point Im staring to get very sleepy, and free bad. I ate 2 more of the SB Bars, and check my sugar whenn I gto home, it was fiarly low.. but still safe. I cant remeber what I ate since then. but tommorow is food shoopipng day so options limited

Some days I feel like I got it down.. and others I am sure Im missing somthing...

Still struggling a bit... heres what I did today...

First meal serving of ceral (26 carbs), couple oz of milk and 1/4th pound hamburge with cheese

Second breakfast - bowl of oat bran + cininnmon and splenda

next meal couple of apples and salad and 2 HB eggs

By this point Im staring to get very sleepy, and free bad. I ate 2 more of the SB Bars, and check my sugar whenn I gto home, it was fiarly low.. but still safe. I cant remeber what I ate since then. but tommorow is food shoopipng day so options limited

Some days I feel like I got it down.. and others I am sure Im missing somthing...

First meal: good

Second meal: where's the protein? That meal would have lasted me about 30 mins

Next meal: where's the carbs? Throw some triscuits or other hearty cracker or something and you're good. (also, for what it's worth, eggs don't last long for me)

SB bars: full of sugar, lasts me about 30 mins, if that, often work on my blood sugar the same way a candy bar does

No worries, you're still in a learning phase. Can you handle boost or ensure? Those might help you. I can't seem to tolerate them, too much casein at once, I think.

Next meal: where's the carbs? Throw some triscuits or other hearty cracker or something and you're good. (also, for what it's worth, eggs don't last long for me)

SB bars: full of sugar, lasts me about 30 mins, if that, often work on my blood sugar the same way a candy bar does

No worries, you're still in a learning phase. Can you handle boost or ensure? Those might help you. I can't seem to tolerate them, too much casein at once, I think.

oat bran is, by calorie, 25% protein, 25% fat. 50% of it is still carbs.

I keep frozen meat around - mostly shrimp, because I can get it cooked, and heat it up in the microwave with tomato soup for a quick meal. (add some lentils, you've got a full meal.) frozen shrimp/boxed soup - stuff you can keep on hand for months and hence stock up on.

jodilewis Newbie

Hey guys,

All good advice; has anyone thought of going the route of a health food store

exclusively for good, organic produce and protein? I have leaky gut issues

which means lots of food allergies too, and new to being diagnosed with celiac.

I have found that I can trust these kinds of places a whole lot more for my health.

Sugar is our enemy--we're all addicted to it. If a sweet is needed, I take stevia

and put a few drops in the mouth.

Orange juice is pretty high in sugar as well.

I find that almond butter is a good alternative to peanut butter, in case there are are allergies there--

and all health food stores have it. More expensive, but worth it.

The cruciferous vegetables are excellent and cancer-fighting;

I drink cabbage juice every day plus aloe vera for a peptic ulcer--because we can't take any chances

on anything else errupting!! (You might be thinking---yuck! But it's doing it's job)

You're probably drained because of immunity isuess--and when that goes down all hell

tends to break loose. Hang in there.

Jodi

VydorScope Proficient

WEll its a start! LOL

HRm Box syas 3g fat, 8g Protien, and 23 carbs (7 of which are fiber).

Err Apples dont count?

Yea I think I am finding that to, was hoping the 10g of protien in them would mean somthing...

I ws on some meds at one time that was cuasing me to loose wieght at a dangerous rate and I drank 1 to 2 Boost Ultra's a day PLUS eat alot more to stablize. Dont recall it bothering me then... but who knows now I guess. I thought they would be to carby?

I keep frozen meat around - mostly shrimp, because I can get it cooked, and heat it up in the microwave with tomato soup for a quick meal. (add some lentils, you've got a full meal.) frozen shrimp/boxed soup - stuff you can keep on hand for months and hence stock up on.

You and your shrimp LOL

What other meats work well for this? Im not a big fish eater...

has anyone thought of going the route of a health food store

exclusively for good, organic produce and protein?

Suuuuuuure, right after I win powerball maybe! (or course I would actauly have to be silly enough to buy a ticket first...) :blink: I cant imagine the cost of that. :blink:

You and your shrimp LOL

lol... I've been sick all week and forgot you don't like fish. you can totally do chicken (that'd be quite tasty), you'd just either have to buy fresh, cut it up, and freeze it yourself, or thaw the frozen chicken and cut it before making the soup. I just hate having to deal with raw poultry when I want something fast. :P The main premise just being "frozen meat stores well, good thing to have on hand". Of course, other than shrimp, I hate frozen fish, and I'm not a big fan of frozen beef or pork, so it's chicken and shrimp for me. :D Maybe you can find cooked frozen chicken at the store? Or used canned stuff? ( :blink: )

HRm Box syas 3g fat, 8g Protien, and 23 carbs (7 of which are fiber).

Yeah...that's an instance of where it varies for everybody. Plant based protein, for whatever reason, does not work for me. Especially oatmeal, but thinking back, that was probably due to celiac.

Err Apples dont count?

Tons of fruit sugar. I guess it does have fiber in it though... I tend to pack my lunches in a protein-> veggie-> fruit-> carb (ie crackers) fashion.

Yea I think I am finding that to, was hoping the 10g of protien in them would mean somthing...

One would think. I think all the flipping sugar and simple carbs make up for the protein in them <_<

I ws on some meds at one time that was cuasing me to loose wieght at a dangerous rate and I drank 1 to 2 Boost Ultra's a day PLUS eat alot more to stablize. Dont recall it bothering me then... but who knows now I guess. I thought they would be to carby?

I've had the high protein one, that's the one that made me sick, actually. You could try that, but the regular stuff would at least help to supplement if you're out of food supply and starting to crash.

Interesting... I find fruit works much better for me than something grain based. (Grains are more likely to be unpredictable with my blood sugar than fruit.)

VydorScope Proficient

Well this stinks. I am at work with my truck inthe shop, so stranded... forgot to put an ice pack in my lunch bag so most of the food is bad... leaveing me with 2 SB bars and Oat Bran. :mellow:

Not the best plan! :huh:

Okay if I relook at that meal list...

430-5am Meal 1: Breakfast is usally like what I posted, but the meat varis based on the dinners... I'll leave that alone.

7-8am meal2: I guess I should try to add some protein to the Oat Bran and see if it makes a dif. Any suggestsion? Remeber I am make this one at work with mircowave and water cooler.

10-11am Lunch hmmm maybe try lunch meat and cheese with a banana

1-2pm Umm hmm. ?

After that I go home, so would not need a meal.

Maybe I am just wacko but for a while there I was getting better, but I was eating almost non-stop all AM then in the afternoon the amount I was eating was falling off, such that by supper I was on a normal 3 meal a day kind of setup, and actaully ate fairly small supper and nothing again till near bed. Tried to work on it a bit cause I am worried I will get fat again... :( With temps breaking 100 here now, my walks are done. I literly get very sick from heat, over 80 and I am struggling big time. I am gonna repair my treadmill and get that setup, but that requires actually going to the store and buying parts....

Archived