• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Anybody tried making their own vegetable chips? You know - the ones that are so expensive in those black bags? Seems like all you'd have to do would be to slice and deep fry - or maybe slice and bake? Is there anywhere to get salt that is especially fine to spritz on at the end? Or can you actually spritz on salt water or something?

Anybody done this?

Never tried, but how about this recipe, looks easy enough! In fact, I might just have to try it at some point:-)

http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe308.htm

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

Mediterranean-style Chips:

2 tablespoons cooking oil

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed

1/8 teaspoon pepper

3 cups 1/4 inch thick slices peeled root vegetables such as sweet or white potatoes, parsnips, or carrots (1 pound)

Dilled Chips:

2 tablespoons cooking oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed

1/8 teaspoon salt

3 cups 1/4 inch-thick slices peeled root vegetables such as sweet or white potatoes, parsnips, or carrots (1 pound)

RECIPE METHOD

FOR MEDITERRANEAN CHIPS: In a large bowl stir together the oil, garlic salt, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Add vegetable slices and toss gently till well coated. Arrange in a single layer on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes, or till crisp and light golden brown. Serve warm.

FOR DILLED CHIPS: In a large bowl stir together the oil, garlic, dillweed, and salt. Continue as directed above.

This is what I do with potatoes too - I haven't found a comercial chip that didn't make me sick any more...works great and you can do any flavors you like. As soon as summer is here, we will be doing veggies too.

Thank you for this recipe for chips--I love them, but also seem to react to commercial ones. It is hit and miss with me--some bags are fine, some not. Probably depends on what they processed last.