• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Funny, I just posted on this. Since going gluten-free a month ago, the amount of gas I have has increased! I know there are medicines to help it, but I'd rather figure out what's causing it first.

What are you experiencing?

I don't know exactly what is normal, but I do think it's normal to have a little here and there. Things that can cause gas for me are:

increasing fiber too quickly

ingesting air with food and drink (think eating really fast and using straws, etc.)

eating something that your body can't tolerate (why I try to eat less processed foods so I can tell what ingredient is causing the problem)

I think gas comes from two places:

1) Air you swallow

2) Bacteria in your gut digesting and fermenting things and creating gasses

When I'm doing well, avoiding grains and complex sugars I don't have gas, when I do, it doesn't stink. I think it is Type 1 gas. It's maybe a poot or two each day (that I notice).

When I'm cheating like mad, eating corn based stuff (especially), I get gas type #2. And it isn't pleasant smelling and sometimes it is quite frequent.

Veggies cause the loud, non-smelly gas and meats cause the silent but deadlies.

In celiacs, we're just bad off all around gas wise. I think I read somewhere that the average person has about 2 liters of gas to expell out the back end each day...

Don't quote me though, I'd do a google on it, but I'm at work :P

Guest cassidy

I don't know what is "normal." I do know that when I was eating gluten I would have gas so bad that it would wake me up in the middle of the night. I could also smell up my entire minivan. I was talking to my husband one day complaining about my minivan smelling and trying to figure out what I left in it and then I realized it was because of me!

Now, I don't really have gas at all, maybe once a day. I can eat all the veggies and beans I want and it doesn't do anything to me. I do eat healthy

When I have gluten, it all comes back again.

So, I would think that if you are eating foods that you can tolerate that you shouldn't have much.

Veggies cause the loud, non-smelly gas and meats cause the silent but deadlies.

In celiacs, we're just bad off all around gas wise. I think I read somewhere that the average person has about 2 liters of gas to expell out the back end each day...

Don't quote me though, I'd do a google on it, but I'm at work :P

Hahaha...2 liters!! WOW :D

I'm gassy first thing in the morning. Can't wait for my husband to go to work so I can just let it all out!! :lol:

I don't know what is "normal." I do know that when I was eating gluten I would have gas so bad that it would wake me up in the middle of the night. I could also smell up my entire minivan. I was talking to my husband one day complaining about my minivan smelling and trying to figure out what I left in it and then I realized it was because of me!

Now, I don't really have gas at all, maybe once a day. I can eat all the veggies and beans I want and it doesn't do anything to me. I do eat healthy

When I have gluten, it all comes back again.

So, I would think that if you are eating foods that you can tolerate that you shouldn't have much.

My experience with gas is the same as yours. The only thing other than gluten that will gas me up is if I chug a soda. No gluten = No Gas at least for me. Love those beans and broccoli. :D