• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

DingoGirl

Okay, What Exactly Are "natural Flavors?"

Rate this topic

Ugh. Drank some Sunny Select "cranberry" juice last night, desperate for a beverage at a friend's house.....contained NATURAL and ARTIFICIAL flavors....what does that really mean? Of what do these "flavors" consist? This is only the second time in almost four months that I need to be near a toilet...that's the only thing I know of yesterday that was suspicious. Anybody know what that means on an ingredient list? :huh: I don't have the stamina to research currently....

Thanks!

there is no "exactly" with natural flavors. it could be a number of things, and is designed to allow manufacturers some leeway in not divulging 'secret recipes'. you have to call the manufacturer to find out if their 'natural and artificial flavors' contain gluten. many don't, but some do.

Natural flavors can indicate any "natural" ingredient or derived ingredient that has been approve dfor consumption by the US FDA.

I think that artificial flavors are the same, but they are artificially created.

No relief here, other then the fact that the 8 common allerges must be labeled in clear plain english for manufactored product made on or after Jan 1, 2006

Thanks, guys, for that info. I don't know how long that juice has been around....could have been months in my friend's pantry as he's a bachelor and single father and keeps things on hand for quite a while...

Feeling better now. Thanks for your responses. I can't think of what, other than the juice, it would have been, unless it was CC from Chipotle, but that has never happened for me and I eat there all the time.

I have had cross contamination at Chipotle before.

Every time you eat at a restaurant you are taking a risk. I don't care how careful they are about CC, there is always a risk of CC, or a mistake could be made, etc.

As long as you take that risk, you may never know what glutened you when it happens! The only safe foods are those ones that are made by your own hands in your own gluten free kitchen from fresh, whole, natural ingredients.

I have had cross contamination at Chipotle before.

Every time you eat at a restaurant you are taking a risk. I don't care how careful they are about CC, there is always a risk of CC, or a mistake could be made, etc.

As long as you take that risk, you may never know what glutened you when it happens! The only safe foods are those ones that are made by your own hands in your own gluten free kitchen from fresh, whole, natural ingredients.

Never have I appreciated that more than this morning! You can lose an entire DAY from not being really strict and careful. And if you have more than one questionable thing in a day, you can't know what did it!

Maybe should not eat the two leftover Chipotle tacos I was so looking forward to.... :(