This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why to be careful with Lotions, makeup, shampoos etc.

kalo

kalo Rookie

So I have a question. I keep reading that you have to be careful with makeup, sun screen etc. etc. Why is this? Is it just to avoid DH and if you don't have a problem with it you don't need to worry? I'm still learning all this. Hugs, Carol B

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tarnalberry Community Regular

Have you ever used sunblock on your face, and when licking your lips, gotta a touch of a nasty taste from it? Have you ever used lotion on your hands, then picked up some carrots (or other finger food) to eat? Have you ever had the wind whip hair into your mouth?

Those are the reasons I avoid gluten in non-food items. I certainly don't plan for that sort of thing, but I just don't want to bother with the risk.

jaimek Enthusiast

Carol,

I do not have DH and did not think I had to worry about those products either. After being gluten-free for about 2-3 months I started noticing my eyes getting very dry and crusted shut in the morning. I figured out that it was my shampoo that contained wheat. I had never had that reaction before going gluten-free, but I guess my body got more sensitive to the gluten since starting the diet and caused my eyes to swell and become dry. So, I switched shampoos (to Loreal) and have been fine ever since. I do not worry about lotions though. I just wash my hands after applying any makeup or lotion. The only reason the shampoo affected me was because I couldn't avoid getting it in my eyes. Hope this helps! :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

JamieK-

You DO need to worry about lotions and makeup. It is very easy to have some lotion remain maybe under your fingernails and you lick your finger because you got something yummy on it. OOPS accidental gluten ingestion!! Then you are sick.

All products you use should be gluten free. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, dish soap, hand soap, body wash, toothpaste, chapstick, lipstick, makeup, sunscreen, and the list goes on.....

It is better to be safe than sorry in this case. Just go gluten free and you will feel better!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Donna F Enthusiast

Is Loreal really okay? Which ones, all?

The only gluten-free shampoos I know of are Neutrogena (which I can't find-except the clean-for-color one that I don't like) and Toms of Maine (which is REALLY hard to find).

thanks,

d

Pegster Apprentice

Before my diagnosis, I had the itchiest scalp in the world. I was using a shampoo recommended by my hairdresser to keep the color in my hair and it had HVP in it. While on vacation, I used my daughter's Garnier Fructis shampoo which seems gluten-free to me unless I'm missing some secret ingredient. My head felt so much better immediately! Now I realize the problem.

Donna F Enthusiast

Would HVP have gluten in it?

Neutrogena was listed as gluten-free on my product listing....

...wait a minute! There was a statement made by the company that it may contain trace amounts and use with caution.

I've probably gotten more sensative over time on the gluten-free diet too. That explains it! Guess I'll be using Toms?

You say fructis? Anyone else? What do you use?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kalo Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. WOW! is all I can say. We have a home based business which we haven't been involved in due to my being so sick over the years. We carry things like shampoo, make up etc. among many other things. Was hoping to get back involved when I got well. Guess I'll have to check and see what the ingredients are. I definately don't want to create more of a problem for myself. Thanks again. Hugs, Carol

jaimek Enthusiast

Loreal is gluten-free and always easy to find. I use the color care and the regular conditioner and all of my problems have gone away. I do use gluten free makeup (by chance) and all of my chapstick, toothpaste, etc is also gluten free. Just not sure about my lotions. Guess I should check on that one.

Donna F Enthusiast

What kind of makeup are you using? I heard Neutrogena was okay, but I saw a warning that it may contain trace amounts of gluten. I've been using a few of the products like, blush and powder, but I'm starting to break out again.

I'm curious if there is gluten-free makeup in the stores. Like Carol, I have my own home-based business too and I usually use those, but I've yet to look at the foundations or to see the powders and blushes, and I don't like to buy from a color-chart since it's not usually accurate! It would be nice to know if there is something else out there too.

Oh! And does anyone know about a gluten-free hair color???

Thanks,

donna

jaimek Enthusiast

I spoke to the general manager of MAC and she told me that their makeup was gluten-free! I have not had any problems with it at all.

terri Contributor

I have spent a lot of time contacting shampoo companies and here are my findings. All Garnier Fructis products are gluten free. L'Oreal is gluten-free also, Dove would list it on the label if it's there and wouldn't hide it under a chemical name. It would say wheat. The Redken and Euforia ones clearly are marked wheat. So I gave all my expensive stuff to my hubby and went out and bought the ones I listed above. Also, I use Keri lotion and Suave lotion which are both okay. I really had a good time with makeup! Lancome is gluten-free and most of Clinique is. Estee Lauder has lots of wheat and it is clearly listed. I don't have DH but I spend so much effort keeping gluten out of my diet that I just can't see washing my face and hair with it! Oh yes, Elizabeth Arden's face wash has gluten also.

Hope this helps!

Terri

Donna F Enthusiast

Thank you Terri! I was gettin sick of Toms - it smells! Good to know some more names. I agree about going all the way with gluten-free. I want it ALL out!

BTW, what is MAC haircolor? Is it an abbreviation for something, or is that the name? I've never heard of it.

Thanks!

donna

kalo Rookie

I'd like to just throw this out. I went to my main doctor today and he told me that he has several families dealing with celiac disease. They all found out about wheat in skin care products, shampoo etc but when they used them they have had NO symptoms. So he didn't think it was that important. He also said that it can absorb through the skin but so far none of his patients have experienced that. Not saying this is right just passing along his experience. Hugs, Carol B

jaimek Enthusiast

MAC is a manufacturer of makeup products. :)

Donna F Enthusiast

Thanks. Will try the Fructis or L'Oreal.

As for symptoms with hair products and soaps - I've never had many symptoms to begin with. Mine come over time, and mostly neurological. A very high percentage of Celiacs have no noticable symptoms at all.

I'd rather be cautious and avoid it all just in case, especially since I know I can't always tell when I've had gluten anyway. Actually, the Neutrogena shampoo I was using gave me a terribly itchy scalp, SO, I guess that was a symptom?

donna

Guest NitaB

I'm glad someone asked this! I'm so new still, and was having trouble with the connection. My My Mary Kay friend, who sells me product, thought I was a bit tetched, I think! Anyway, she is trading me a few things, as some are, and some aren't gluten-free. I also bought mascara at Wild Oats recently.

My explanation to these folks who wonder how make-up, hair, and skin products can affect a dietary problem, is that as I become more gluten-free, the less gluten it will take to set me off! So, I'm working at getting rid of it now, before it makes me sick. And even though I haven't had a skin biopsy, I do have scars on my knees and elbows, indicative of DH. Having seen the Dr. Tues, and she was in agreement as to the probability of it being DH.

I had emailed to Pfizer, the makers of Lubriderm, my hand lotion. They said their product didn't have wheat in it, but wouldn't guarantee it not to be cross contaminated. I'm still using it. What do you think? Shouldn't???

I had the dumbest and funniest repy from Victoria's Secret. I had bought a few bottles of their bath gel on sale this winter. I emailed them as to it being gluten-free. They emailed back that they didn't know, and to ask the people at my local store! How dumb! There are young girls working, and we know hardly anyone knows about gluten, of any age, for that matter!!!!

My daughter is a hairdresser, and she just traded me out a couple of products that weren't gluten-free. I'm not sure about my shampoo, but it looks okay, from the label. So much to learn! Good thing I can still read such small print, as all I ever do is read labels!

Nita

terri Contributor

I'm off to get my hair done today and as an afterthought packed my L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner in case the salon doesn't have gluten-free shampoo. My hairdresser hates me to use drug store products but that's too bad. We do what we have to do. Then I'm going to ge my acrylic nails filled. Do you think the nail glue can hurt us? Am I going to far to worry about it? The glue is on the inside of the nail and under the polish...

Thanks for listening!

Terri

debmidge Rising Star

My husband who is Celiac uses Clinique post shave healing lotion. I asked them over email if it's gluten-free; their response is for me to read the label. I am not a chemist, how the heck would I know what came from a gluten source. Does any one know of a suitable gluten-free replacement product for this? this product is like a face lotion, but fragrance and color free.

Thanks, Debbie

Pegster Apprentice

Speaking of Clinique...It's bonus time at Nordstrom and two of the free items (body lotion and lipstick) clearly say "Wheat" in the ingredients! So much for being allergy tested and safe. I just emailed them about some of their other products. We'll see. I'm finding that the cheaper brands of toiletries are the ones that DON'T contain wheat products. I have started carrying a magnifying glass with me when I shop now. Those ingredients sure are hard to read!

Guest NitaB

Pegster,

Let us know what you find out! I just got some different skin products from my Mary Kay friend that look gluten-free. Will go check them out, right now! The face and eye cream I was using, had wheat in them, clearly labeled.

Nita

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I just bought some Neutrogena face wash and body wash and all that jazz because I thought it was gluten-free, so I should take it back (I havet opened them yet)?

Kristina

eramica Newbie

It's amazing how many shampoos have wheat protein as an ingredient! Yellow Number 5 is common too. (Can cause asthma) I have a sensitivity to many frangrances as well as gluten and yellow #5...try finding unscented shampoo!!! As someone mentioned there is a unscented neutrogena if you can find it but it doesn't agree with my hair. My longtime favorite shampoo is Orgene Herbal which is almost impossible to find also...I'm pretty sure it is gluten free but I'm going to contact them as I haven't been able to find a bottle of it at my usual NYC health food stores, so I report my findings!

Good luck y'all, stay strong!

dana-g Newbie

Accidental ingestion isn't the only reason to worry about gluten in cosmetics! I had a horrible experience at the hairdressers that you guys need to know about. I NEVER had contact dermatitis before going gluten-free, no skin reaction to gluten of any kind at all. Then a couple of months into being gluten-free, I had my hair washed at the salon. I usually just have my head sprayed with water--my hair's really short and I always wash it before going, but we washed it. I thought maybe there was peppermint or something in the shampoo because my scalp was uncomfortably tingly. This was before I paid any attention at all to gluten-free products for skin and hair. About two months later, I went back, got shampooed again, being even more gluten-free, and felt like my head was ON FIRE! I couldn't breathe, my heart was racing, tears were coming out of my eyes, it was awful! A little light went on in my thick head, and I read the shampoo label. It said "Hydrolized Wheat Protein". Duh! I have since replaced EVERY product in our home with gluten-free products. My daughter is also celiac disease and at 11, starting to wear shiny lip gloss and such, and it's gluten-free all the way! Our sunscreen is gluten-free,so are baby wipes, and all hotel souveneirs have been tossed. I am living proof that you can suddenly develop a nasty reaction to gluten that has nothing to do with DH. Do yourselves a favor and go gluten-free before your head catches on fire (just kidding!)

Queen Serenity Newbie

Dana q,

I had a bad experience with shampoo, also. I used a Paul Mitchell product, without realizing it had wheat protein in it, and my scalp burned for days! You are not alone in the experience. I warn all people who have Celiac's to bring their own shampoo and conditioner to a hair salon. I learned my lesson. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki :)

Archived