• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Mom2six

How Long Til You See Improvement Form Going Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Hello, I have been reading the forum for about a week since my dd (17 mos) went to the alergist and she thoughtshe might have Celiac. It seems to fit. She saw the GI on Tuesday and he ran the blood work. THey took 6 viles. It was horrible. Anyway, Now tha tshe has had blood work, I was going to take her off gluten (actually started this morning). She has the HORRIBLE diaper rash, other signs of DH (on her tummy legs, and face which itches like crazy), and chronic diarreah. Plus, she is FUSSY with a capitol F, failure to thrive and not walking yet. Sooooo, I was wondering how soon we should see some impovement? Thanks so much for a place where people understand what we are going through. She has been such a puzzle being our 5th child. I am hoping that this blood work will lead to some answers. Thanks again.

i dont really know im 20 and i know its diffrent depening on age group but after 3 days of even beeing gluten free i started to feel alot better but it from what i have read takes atleast a couple of months to really get healed, but its also depenednt on how bad the problems got before going gluten free. sorry i could not have been of more help

Sooooo, I was wondering how soon we should see some impovement?

I can tell you only from my experience. My 21-month old ds has been gluten-free for about 2 months. The vomiting immediately stopped. He still gets a mild rash, but not at all the agony that he has gone through, since his surgery in November. His rash took about two weeks to clear up. His behavior improved within a week. His bowel started coming under control, somewhat, in about three weeks. His stool is still not formed, but at least it is not out-of-control diaper blowouts due to diarrehea.