This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grocery Stores Or Health Food Stores In Calgary

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I plan on moving out to Calgary very soon since I just got a job. Anyone from the area know the best stores and locations to get gluten-free food? My favorite products are Kinnikinick, Thai Kitchen, Sterk's, So Good, Almond Breeze, Natur-a, and So Nice. I've also heard of gluten-free chicken nuggets, do any stores in Calgary sell those? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Carrie--Obviously, I can't be of any help with finding stores since I live in New Jersey :D ! But I wanted to say congratulations on the new job!!! I know you've been looking for some time--that is really great! Best of luck with the move and the new position. :) They are lucky to have you ;)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Patti :) I am really looking forward to moving to Calgary. I am even more excited now since I just found out that a new gluten and lactose free restaurant just opened there :) Yay!

mamaw Community Regular

Congrats on the job.....

good luck

mamaw

Becka85 Newbie
Thanks Patti :) I am really looking forward to moving to Calgary. I am even more excited now since I just found out that a new gluten and lactose free restaurant just opened there :) Yay!

I'm excited for this new restaurant in Calgary! I just heard about it today. It's called Splitt and it's in the SW somewhere but I'm not sure exactly where yet.

As for gluten-free stores, the larger Safeway stores (Crowfoot) are good for Glutino products. There is also a farmer's market in Garrison Woods in the SW. There is a lady there who makes some really good gluten-free foods. They are quite expensive but they are really good. There is a gluten-free bakery in Marda Loop. I haven't had a chance to try them yet but I've heard good things. I don't remember the name of the place but it's right on 33rd AVE (across from the Mac's). Community Health Foods (next to Chinook mall) is pretty good as well, depending on what you're looking for. The last place I can think of is Lakeview Bakery. It's way down in the south of Calgary. I don't personally like much of their stuff. But you can visit the bakery itself or pick up a few of their products in the larger Co-ops around town.

I hope that helps!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Hi Carrie,

Everything depends on where you live. In the northwest is Amaranth Whole Foods Market - they have Thai Kitchen, Kinnickinnik, El Peto, Glutino and lots more. In the SW, the Lakeview Bakery, Glamorgan Bakery and Earth's Oven all have gluten-free selections, I think Earth's Oven is completely gluten-free. I can't comment on taste, I have a picky six year old, so I mostly make my own stuff. Community Natural Health Foods has two locations, one near downtown and one in the south. There's a health food store in Bowness (NW) that Rusla has mentioned she goes to, and many of the Safeways, Co-ops and Superstores have Kinnickinnik, Celimix, Tinkyada, etc. Best price for Tinkyada so far is Amaranth. I've heard that the farmer's market at Currie Barracks has a few gluten-free stands, but I've never been there.

Here are some links:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link (click on local restaurants and local stores and suppliers)

Splitt Pourhouse & Grill is the new gluten-free lactose-free restaurant. It opened two days ago.

It's at 7746 Elbow Drive S.W. about 5 blocks south of Glenmore Trail.

ph: 212-0304 (owner: Jeff)

Do you have a place to stay? What's the job?

Good luck. When's the big move?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for your suggestions everyone and for the links. Everything will be a big help.

Do you have a place to stay? What's the job?

Good luck. When's the big move?

My fiance and I are staying with friends until we find a place and we are moving next week! The job is with a consulting firm. I'm very excited!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skoki-mom Explorer

Congratulations on your new job and the move to Cowtown. I think the previous posters covered most of the bases that I am aware of, anyhow. I shop at Co-Op and Amaranth and get pretty much what I need from those places. I am going to have to try out that new place, sounds interesting! Do you know what part of town you will be living in yet? I live in the NW.

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Linda,

Do you know the address of the Amaranth Whole Foods Market in the North West?

Guest Viola

There's a place called Terra Cotta in the SW. My daugher picks stuff up for me there and mails it out :P They have a wonderful hot cereal mix with cranberries, blueberries etc. They are in a big farmer's market place. They also have a website you can get their address and phone number. I believe they are only open three days a week or so. Just google Terra Cotta. I think it is all gluten free.

Okay, it's

They just say Calgary's Farmers Market

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Linda,

Do you know the address of the Amaranth Whole Foods Market in the North West?

Hi Carrie,

It's called Amaranth Whole Foods Market

#7 Arbour Lake Drive NW

You have to get yourself on either John Laurie Blvd. westbound or maybe Nosehill Drive, depends on where you're coming from. I'll give you directions from John Laurie Blvd. You'll drive westbound and when you get to an area called Crowfoot there's a YMCA on the NW corner, a dentist on the SW corner and neighbourhoods on the NE/SE corners. The intersection will be John Laurie Blvd & Nosehill Drive. Keep going straight on John Laurie, there'll be a set of light for the second entrance to the Y, keep going, then there'll be an unmarked T-intersection with a green glass building on the left, keep going straight. Right away will be a four way stop. There is a community centre, a school and Amaranth. The entrance to Amaranth is right after the four way stop. I'll see if I can find a link for a map.

That should get you started.

If you run into trouble getting there, I'm super close. Linda. I'm the only Linda in the book (Linda & Glenn).

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone :)

Linda,

Your directions are very good and I should be able to find it, but if I have trouble I will give you a call. Thanks so much.

-Carrie.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks so much Linda, Amaranth is my new favorite store :) There are a lot of goodies there ;)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

You're welcome. Glad you found it.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
There's a place called Terra Cotta in the SW. My daugher picks stuff up for me there and mails it out They have a wonderful hot cereal mix with cranberries, blueberries etc. They are in a big farmer's market place. They also have a website you can get their address and phone number. I believe they are only open three days a week or so. Just google Terra Cotta. I think it is all gluten free.

Okay, it's

I will have to check that place out now too! I'm going to a safe way to see what they have as well.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Safeway is peculiar. Some of them have separate "Natural Market" sections with soy products, gluten-free stuff, organic stuff there, others have so-called specialty items mixed in with the regular groceries.

2kids4me Contributor
There's a place called Terra Cotta in the SW. My daugher picks stuff up for me there and mails it out :P They have a wonderful hot cereal mix with cranberries, blueberries etc. They are in a big farmer's market place. They also have a website you can get their address and phone number. I believe they are only open three days a week or so. Just google Terra Cotta. I think it is all gluten free.

Okay, it's

Terra Cotta just opened their bakery in Nanton last Friday - Nanton is about 80 km south of Calgary. They plan on shipping the products to Calgary from here but will have stuff available for sale "over the counter". I imagine they chose Nanton cause real estate is way cheaper here. I do most of my shopping at Planet Organic in the SW (a strip mall at the southwest corner of Elbow and Southland). The manager is celiac.

They carry - kinnnickinnick, Thai ktichen, Van's gluten-free waffles, all sorts of rice pasta and gluten-free sauces, Rice bars, gluten-free cookies, gluten-free ice cream cones, Enjoy Life cereal bars... and more

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for your help :) I would love to have a gluten-free ice cream cone for soy ice cream!

• 1 month later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I just discovered Planet Organic Market in the SW off Elbow Drive. That store has the most gluten-free and dairy free options that I have ever seen! I found Larabars and gluten-free and dairy free chocolate bars!

I highly recommend checking this place out if you haven't already.

Rusla Enthusiast

Planet Organic just opend on Shaganappi Trail North of Market Mall next to A Sewing Sensation. Amaranth foods is on John Laurie BlVD and Arbour Lake DR. Community Natural foods is on 10th Ave and 14 ST. SW and by the Chinook Lrt Station, Terracotto is in the Currie Barracks farmers market they are open Friday to Sunday.

Hope it all helps. Oh an there is Earth's Oven who makes great bread and killer brownies. There is a woman by Crossfield whose husband and son are Celiac and she makes killer truffles and cookies. If anyone wants I can get her email and phone number.

Archived