• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

msserena

Looking For Chili Seasoning Mix

Rate this topic

I use a *little* bit of italian spices (mostly sage, but add in just a touch of oregano and thyme, and then a pile (2 tbsp or so) of chili powder. I never use prepackaged "I'm for this type of food" spices - blend your own! (Though chili powder is already a blend, of course.) I generally use Spice Hunter, but McCormick's chili powder is fine too. I also add a bit of cayanne (I like it spicy), and garlic powder, because I like chunks of onion in my chili, but not bits of whole garlic. A touch of sea salt too, of course.

I usually use trader joe's canned beans (I'm a kidney bean and black bean fan for chili myself)... You could always get dried beans and soak them. I know there are oodles of canned beans out there that are gluten-free (the vast, vast majority), but a handful have a few flavors with funky ingredients.

I agree - make your own it's much easier and if you really like chili make it in bulk and save it for later

2T chili powder

1T cumin

1t salt

1t cayenne (only if you like heat!)

fresh cracked pepper

I use either McCormick or Trader Joe's spices

if you have a TJ's near you they are best to get spices from

only $1.99 for a big jar!

*smacks head* duh! can't forget the cumin, 'cause chili has beans! (only a very little bit in chili for me, though.)

I use the McCormick Taco seasoning, add a can of red kidney beans and 2 - 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce, bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. I don't like spicy stuff so if you want this spicy feel free to doctor it up.

Guest BERNESES

Gluten Free Pantry makes a good one too- but spicy! I bought one jar and when it was gone just added all my own spices (mostly McCormick's) back into the jar.

Yes, I usually use my own spices, too. Ditto the McCormick's Tex Mex Chili seasoning, though, but I can only find it at one place near me.

re: beans... just buy them dry.

I use cayenne, minced garlic, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.

I make mine without beans due to family issues (hubby, oldest son, me) with those little wonders.

I do use a can of mild (for the kids) tomato with chilles for extra spice. I am not a fan of chilli powder so I don't use it.