• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I was just diagnosed with celiac and was looking through my cabinet to see what I could eat. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to have a "pantry sale"! I do have a huge tub of quick cooking oatmeal that is 100% oats (at least, that's what it says) - does anyone know if this is ok to eat? :unsure:

oats are a controverisal topic. here's what we know:

1) virtually all commerical oats are contaminated with wheat at levels above the 200ppm european CODEX standard for 'gluten free'. this includes Quaker, McCanns, and Country Pride. two companies (one in the US, and one in Canada (I think)) are starting to market and sell (via mail order) uncontaminated oats.

2) some studies suggest that many celiacs can tolerate small amounts (~100g/day) of clean (lab grown or otherwise known to be uncontaminated) oats without seriologic or intestinal evidence of damage from gluten

3) those same studies, and others, suggest that approximately 5-10% of the celiac population does react to avenin, the protein in oats, with intestinal damage. there is no current that is able to determine "if you are one of those celiacs".

4) some people here do consume oats without reporting any physical symptoms

The one in Canada is cream hill estates and the one in the U.S. is called gluten free oats. I loved the ones from cream hill but I ordered from the other one because of shipping.

Both sites tell you to start off very slow when adding oats back into the diet. I never thought I would say I missed oats!!!!Oddly , oats never seemed to be a problem for us but to be a tad more safe we went to the gluten-free ones.....

mamaw

Read what Tiffany wrote. I completely agree with that. You see, even with 100% pure and uncontaminated oats, some people still react to the protein, avenin, in oats. Some people still get that intestinal damage so I definitely stay completely away from them because I do not trust it...I think I would be one of the people that react to it.

Anyhow, oats in the US are highly contaminated with wheat. A bunch of brands tested showed high levels of gluten and they are grown and processed with wheat so it's definitely not safe.

If you decide to try oats, make sure they are grown, transported, and processed by themselves.

oats are a controverisal topic. here's what we know:

1) virtually all commerical oats are contaminated with wheat at levels above the 200ppm european CODEX standard for 'gluten free'. this includes Quaker, McCanns, and Country Pride. two companies (one in the US, and one in Canada (I think)) are starting to market and sell (via mail order) uncontaminated oats.

2) some studies suggest that many celiacs can tolerate small amounts (~100g/day) of clean (lab grown or otherwise known to be uncontaminated) oats without seriologic or intestinal evidence of damage from gluten

3) those same studies, and others, suggest that approximately 5-10% of the celiac population does react to avenin, the protein in oats, with intestinal damage. there is no current that is able to determine "if you are one of those celiacs".

4) some people here do consume oats without reporting any physical symptoms

EXACTLY. Well stated. :)

we bought the gluten free oats and i made granola for my girls. they have had no problem with them. one of my kids gets nauseated when she eats gluten----and she has eaten a fair amount of the oats without getting sick.

christine