• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

i used to get frequint muscle spasims when i was younger in my arms the doctor said it was from a patasium difeciancy. You can do lots of things but what i found works good is 1.vitemans 2. bananas- they have lots of patasium and digets fairy easy

She can make use of the USDA's Nutrient Lists. (Scroll down to get to potassium, as select the "W".)

Top of the list: orange juice, beet greens, spinach, tomato sauce, winter squash, papaya, lentils, beans (white, pinto, kidney, etc.), sweet potato, carrot juice, potatoes, buckwheat, bananas (all are 500mg or more per serving)

Coconut water is apparantly very high in potassium.

I've been drinking ONE Coconut water for the past few days and it's been making me really dizzy. It's the same feeling I used to get when I was on Yasmin, which apparantly alters your potassium levels as well. Does this mean my potassium levels are too high? Is it something to be concerned about in general or can I just stop drinking the coconut water and not worry about it?

I googled "high potassium dizzy" and the first link that came up was a gluten-free support group in the UK, which was strange since I did not include "gluten" anywhere in my search :blink:

Coconut water is apparantly very high in potassium.

I've been drinking ONE Coconut water for the past few days and it's been making me really dizzy. It's the same feeling I used to get when I was on Yasmin, which apparantly alters you potassium levels as well. Does this mean my potassium levels are too high? Is it something to be concerned about in general or can I just stop drinking the coconut water and not worry about it?

I googled "high potassium dizzy" and the first link that came up was a gluten-free support group in the UK, which was strange since I did not include "gluten" anywhere in my search :blink:

How much sugar is in coconut water? I know the meat is very high. You may be getting a blood sugar spike. If your worried about the potassium you could ask your doctor to call in a lab slip so you can check.

How much sugar is in coconut water? I know the meat is very high. You may be getting a blood sugar spike. If your worried about the potassium you could ask your doctor to call in a lab slip so you can check.

Hmmm...It says 14g of sugars. The only ingredient is coconut water. I didn't think of that though. It's a really strange dizzy. It's very intense and I black out for a second when I stand up.

Hmmm...It says 14g of sugars. The only ingredient is coconut water. I didn't think of that though. It's a really strange dizzy. It's very intense and I black out for a second when I stand up.

I would not touch this again if it was me. The black out sensation sounds like your blood pressure is bottoming out. I would bring this up with your doctor also and perhaps see if he might want to have you skin tested in case this is an allergic reaction. Allergenic reactions can go from annoying to life threatning very suddenly so please don't ignore the reaction.

Hmmm, I've always blacked out frequently when I stand up. Another thing I thought was normal! <_< And I do have blood pressure that's on the low side.

It happened to me constantly when I was on Yasmin bc pills. It got to the point where I thought it was normal. But then it got really intense to the point where standing up was completely unbearable B), so I switched to a different brand of bc pills. Now the coconut water is causing the exact same effect. The only connection I can think of is the potassium. It's pretty weird.

Hmm, not on bc, not drinking coconut water <_< Does this mean I need more potassium?

If I understand correctly I think the dizziness is caused by too much potassium. I don't know if there's a connection between low blood pressure and high potassium, or if both cause dizziness. I'll need to look into this more.

Okay I just searched and it appears that low blood pressure is associated with high potassium, which makes sense. Hmmm...

Can't imagine where I would be getting too much potassium from?! I bet there are other causes, there have to be! I think I read that dehydration causes dizziness, too. I seem to be constantly dehydrated; my fingers look like raisins.

Carla,

That's called being orthostatic- people get that "blacking out" or "seeing spots" sensation when they're standing bp is lower than when they are lying down. A nutrionist told me to drink gatorade when that happens, and lots of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and that helps.

- Lauren

Hmmm, I've always blacked out frequently when I stand up. Another thing I thought was normal! <_< And I do have blood pressure that's on the low side.

Eat more salt! My family has this problem all over the place (incedentally, we also all get bad charley horses and have low bp). Bananas, orange juice are good for leg cramps.

For the blackout stuff, eat more salt. Drink a V8 or tomato juice, that'll help.

Eat more salt! My family has this problem all over the place (incedentally, we also all get bad charley horses and have low bp). Bananas, orange juice are good for leg cramps.

For the blackout stuff, eat more salt. Drink a V8 or tomato juice, that'll help.

Yes, gatorade is an electrolyte (has salt), so that goes along with my suggestion. Good luck - hope things improve b/c blacking out is definitely NOT normal!

- Lauren

I drink water constantly, and I put a little salt in it (very little). I even have a salt shaker in my car! Since I don't eat many salty foods, I know I do get low in sodium, but still have this happen occassionally. Maybe I'm still not getting enough of it.

Thank you for the suggestions ... it's very interesting.