• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest cassidy

Probiotics - Do They Make Good Bacteria Start Growing In You?

Rate this topic

Guest cassidy

I recently had a 3 day stool test. The results showed a bad bacteria, amoeba, candida overgrowth and no good bacteria. I just finished two antibiotics to kill off the bad bacteria and amoeba. I have been taking probiotics but figure that the anitbiotics make them useless on a long term scale.

So, if you take probiotics do the good bacteria they deliver stay in your intestines and start to re-populate it? Or, are they only useful while you are taking them and come out when you go to the bathroom?

How long is it necessary to take them? Is there a special kind that helps re-populate better than others?

I have pretty much decided to take digestive enzymes forever. They really make me feel better and they contain small amounts of probiotics. I think I'm going to take a potent probiotic for a while in addition (but I don't know how long is necessary).

What about yogurt? I have been eating Cascade Fresh which is supposed to have 8 live cultures. All the stuff on the probiotic bottles uses a measurement that I am unfamiliar with. Does yogurt provide any measureable benefit?

we use to have our daughter the garden of life probiotics, she did good we just continued them until her bowel started to average out, (you could see stuff in her diaper, once that started to disapeer we slowly stopped using it,) sounds gross i know...don't know if it will help you, but i do believe they work we could see the bad in her diaper...if they make you feel better than i would say they are working, try them for awhile, then ween off and see how you feel. good luck

Be careful of Garden of Life. I was taking Primal Defense, and the product was great, except that it contains barley so it's not so good for celiacs. I believe it is barley grass, which some argue is okay because it's not the grain, but it sure was making me ill!!

I think I read somewhere that probiotics in general aren't very effective in re-populating the intestine. So that would mean taking them indefinitely. I'm not entirely happy with that thought either though. Dunno.

Pauliina

I love probiotics and am a big fan of them. I use Enzymatic Therapy pearls. There is another good brand like Kyodophilus or something I think but I will have to check on that to make sure I said the right thing lol