• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

eleep

Are There Threads About Supplements And Nutrition

Rate this topic

I know I've seen threads about supplements and such, but haven't been able to turn the most useful ones I remember up when I do a search.

Basically, I'm looking to find out what kinds of nutrients I should be supplementing while I'm still healing -- I've recently realized I need to be doing sublingual b-complex -- which has evened out a lot of the last of my jitteriness. I'm doing oral multi-vitamins with iron, extra calcium, fish oil and a good probiotic. However, I'm not always sure how much of this stuff is getting absorbed -- the multi has enough b-complex, but the sublingual is what's made the real difference.

My university infirmary did some initial bloodwork on nutrient levels -- they covered potassium, calcium, folate, iron, beta carotene and B12 -- however, I've just realized that there's a lot they simply didn't test for -- I think I had a really serious niacin deficiency, for instance. I'm a graduate student with a really lousy student health plan, so I'd prefer not to shell out for more tests right now if I can avoid it.

I'm also working on the food angle -- but, again, I don't know exactly what I'll be absorbing

We just take a daily multi vit form "Natures Made" wich is gluten-free and DF. That plus good quailty yogurt (Cascade, Stonyfield farms, etc) for probotics is about all *I* personaly think most ppl need. I have to take an additional calcium suplment (1200 IU a day +forget how much VitD) Cuase of bone loss, but most ppl wont need that.

Guest cassidy

digestive enzymes might be helpful. If you are concerned about how much you are absorbing, they help you break down your food so it is easier to digest, maybe they would help you get more nutrients out.

i use centrum advanced forumula so much crap in it

edit-- o just make sure you dont get chewables-they contain gluten

NOW, liquid multi, available at www.nowfoods.com, is gluten, dairy, yeast, egg free. It is very hard to find a liquid multivitamin that is gluten & dairy free, but this is one. Have they checked your vitamin D levels? Most celiacs are vitamin D deficient; it was key for me to eleminate my muscle & joint aches. Good Luck!

Dee