AmyandSabastian

Any One In Louisiana?

Rate this topic

Looking for local support for my soon to be gluten free family. Anyone here near me in Louisiana?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

HI! I'm also looking for a gluten free support group. I am a 51 year old female with 3 sons. We are all gluten intolerant. My sons do not follow the diet (and believe me it shows) so I am mostly seeking out a support group for them!

Looking for local support for my soon to be gluten free family. Anyone here near me in Louisiana?

There is a thread on Celiac Meeting Room. It has a link to a support group in Baton Rouge. I am about 2 hours away so I never attended any of the meetings. I would love to find something a little closer to home.

Wenmin

HI. I hope to attend that Baton Rouge Meeting this Wed.

There are two support groups in Baton Rouge, Louisiana an gluten intolerance support group (meets quarterly) and an emotional healing support group for celiacs (weekly Wednesday at 6pm in Baton Rouge). Both groups are free and open to the public. Each deal with different aspects of living with celiac disease.

1.Celiacs of Baton Rouge, a gluten intolerance support group, for Adult Patients and Parents of children who cannot eat wheat, rye, barley and oats.

The meetings are quarterly at the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

The next quarterly meeting is November 9, 2011 @ 7pm.

The contact is:

Mary Mack-Jeansonne

Home: 225.766.8872

Cell: 225.938.9534

Fax: 225.761.4614

celiacsbr@aol.com

Email Mary to be added to the email database.

2. The Emotional Healing Support Group is lead by John P. Patout, LCSW at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center. The group will meet on Thursdays at 6-7pm. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Suite B-1 (upstairs) located off of College Drive in Baton Rouge.

The primary focus of this group is on emotions and healing. This is the first support group of its kind in Louisiana. Read more about Jamestown Counseling Center at jamestowncounseling.com. Telephone 225-924-3000.

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 449 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/21/2018 - These easy-to-make tortilla wraps make a great addition to your lunchtime menu. Simply grab your favorite gluten-free tortillas, a bit of cream cheese, some charred fresh sweet corn, creamy avocado and ripe summer tomato. Add a bit of sliced roast beef and some mayonnaise and hot sauce, and you’re in business. And it's all ready in about half an hour. If you cook the corn the night before, they can be ready in just a few minutes.
    Ingredients:
    12 ounces thinly sliced cooked beef, sliced 6 burrito-sized gluten-free tortillas 1 ripe medium avocado, diced 1 large tomato, diced ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced ¼ cup mayonnaise 2 ears sweet corn, husks and silk removed 1 teaspoon olive oil ¾ cup soft cream cheese spread 1-2 teaspoons gluten-free hot sauce of choice Sprouted pea greens, as desired fresh salsa, as desired Directions:
    Heat grill to medium-hot. 
    Brush corn with olive oil. 
    In a small dish, blend mayonnaise and hot sauce. Adjust mixture, and add fresh salsa, as desired.
    Grill corn for 8 to 12 minutes, turning as it browns and lowering heat as needed until corn is tender and charred in some places. 
    Cool slightly; cut kernels from cobs.
    Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese on one side of each tortilla to within ½-inch of edge; arrange beef slices to cover.
    Spread beef with mayonnaise hot sauce mixture as desired.
    Place a bit of grilled corn kernels, avocado, tomato and red onion in a 3-inch strip along one edge of each tortilla. 
    Fold ends and roll into a burrito shape, and serve. I like to add sweet, crunchy pea greens for some extra crunch and nutrition.

Christina Kantzavelos
    Celiac.com 07/20/2018 - During my Vipassana retreat, I wasn’t left with much to eat during breakfast, at least in terms of gluten free options. Even with gluten free bread, the toasters weren’t separated to prevent cross contamination. All of my other options were full of sugar (cereals, fruits), which I try to avoid, especially for breakfast. I had to come up with something that did not have sugar, was tasty, salty, and gave me some form of protein. After about four days of mixing and matching, I was finally able to come up with the strangest concoction, that may not look the prettiest, but sure tastes delicious. Actually, if you squint your eyes just enough, it tastes like buttery popcorn. I now can’t stop eating it as a snack at home, and would like to share it with others who are looking for a yummy nutritious snack. 
    Ingredients:
    4 Rice cakes ⅓ cup of Olive oil  Mineral salt ½ cup Nutritional Yeast ⅓ cup of Sunflower Seeds  Intriguing list, right?...
    Directions (1.5 Servings):
    Crunch up the rice into small bite size pieces.  Throw a liberal amount of nutritional yeast onto the pieces, until you see more yellow than white.  Add salt to taste. For my POTS brothers and sisters, throw it on (we need an excess amount of salt to maintain a healthy BP).  Add olive oil  Liberally sprinkle sunflower seeds. This is what adds the protein and crunch, so the more, the tastier.  Buen Provecho, y Buen Camino! 

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/19/2018 - Maintaining a gluten-free diet can be an on-going challenge, especially when you factor in all the hidden or obscure gluten that can trip you up. In many cases, foods that are naturally gluten-free end up contain added gluten. Sometimes this can slip by us, and that when the suffering begins. To avoid suffering needlessly, be sure to keep a sharp eye on labels, and beware of added or hidden gluten, even in food labeled gluten-free.  Use Celiac.com's SAFE Gluten-Free Food List and UNSAFE Gluten-free Food List as a guide.
    Also, beware of these common mistakes that can ruin your gluten-free diet. Watch out for:
    Watch out for naturally gluten-free foods like rice and soy, that use gluten-based ingredients in processing. For example, many rice and soy beverages are made using barley enzymes, which can cause immune reactions in people with celiac disease. Be careful of bad advice from food store employees, who may be misinformed themselves. For example, many folks mistakenly believe that wheat-based grains like spelt or kamut are safe for celiacs. Be careful when taking advice. Beware of cross-contamination between food store bins selling raw flours and grains, often via the food scoops. Be careful to avoid wheat-bread crumbs in butter, jams, toaster, counter surface, etc. Watch out for hidden gluten in prescription drugs. Ask your pharmacist for help about anything you’re not sure about, or suspect might contain unwanted gluten. Watch out for hidden gluten in lotions, conditioners, shampoos, deodorants, creams and cosmetics, (primarily for those with dermatitis herpetaformis). Be mindful of stamps, envelopes or other gummed labels, as these can often contain wheat paste. Use a sponge to moisten such surfaces. Be careful about hidden gluten in toothpaste and mouthwash. Be careful about common cereal ingredients, such as malt flavoring, or other non-gluten-free ingredient. Be extra careful when considering packaged mixes and sauces, including soy sauce, fish sauce, catsup, mustard, mayonnaise, etc., as many of these can contain wheat or wheat by-product in their manufacture. Be especially careful about gravy mixes, packets & canned soups. Even some brands of rice paper can contain gluten, so be careful. Lastly, watch out for foods like ice cream and yogurt, which are often gluten-free, but can also often contain added ingredients that can make them unsuitable for anyone on a gluten-free diet. Eating Out? If you eat out, consider that many restaurants use a shared grill or shared cooking oil for regular and gluten-free foods, so be careful. Also, watch for flour in otherwise gluten-free spices, as per above. Ask questions, and stay vigilant.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/18/2018 - Despite many studies on immune development in children, there still isn’t much good data on how a mother’s diet during pregnancy and infancy influences a child’s immune development.  A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether changes in maternal or infant diet might influence the risk of allergies or autoimmune disease.
    The team included Vanessa Garcia-Larsen, Despo Ierodiakonou, Katharine Jarrold, Sergio Cunha,  Jennifer Chivinge, Zoe Robinson, Natalie Geoghegan, Alisha Ruparelia, Pooja Devani, Marialena Trivella, Jo Leonardi-Bee, and Robert J. Boyle.
    They are variously associated with the Department of Undiagnosed Celiac Disease More Common in Women and Girls International Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America; the Respiratory Epidemiology, Occupational Medicine and Public Health, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; the Section of Paediatrics, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; the Centre for Statistics in Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom; the Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom; the Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom; and Stanford University in the USA.
    Team members searched MEDLINE, Excerpta Medica dataBASE (EMBASE), Web of Science, Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), and Literatura Latino Americana em Ciências da Saúde (LILACS) for observational studies conducted between January 1946 and July 2013, and interventional studies conducted through December 2017, that evaluated the relationship between diet during pregnancy, lactation, or the first year of life, and future risk of allergic or autoimmune disease. 
    They then selected studies, extracted data, and assessed bias risk. They evaluated data using the Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE). They found 260 original studies, covering 964,143 participants, of milk feeding, including 1 intervention trial of breastfeeding promotion, and 173 original studies, covering 542,672 participants, of other maternal or infant dietary exposures, including 80 trials of 26 maternal, 32 infant, or 22 combined interventions. 
    They found a high bias risk in nearly half of the more than 250 milk feeding studies and in about one-quarter of studies of other dietary exposures. Evidence from 19 intervention trials suggests that oral supplementation with probiotics during late pregnancy and lactation may reduce risk of eczema. 44 cases per 1,000; 95% CI 20–64), and 6 trials, suggest that fish oil supplementation during pregnancy and lactation may reduce risk of allergic sensitization to egg. GRADE certainty of these findings was moderate. 
    The team found less evidence, and low GRADE certainty, for claims that breastfeeding reduces eczema risk during infancy, that longer exclusive breastfeeding is associated with reduced type 1 diabetes mellitus, and that probiotics reduce risk of infants developing allergies to cow’s milk. 
    They found no evidence that dietary exposure to other factors, including prebiotic supplements, maternal allergenic food avoidance, and vitamin, mineral, fruit, and vegetable intake, influence risk of allergic or autoimmune disease. 
    Overall, the team’s findings support a connection between the mother’s diet and risk of immune-mediated diseases in the child. Maternal probiotic and fish oil supplementation may reduce risk of eczema and allergic sensitization to food, respectively.
    Stay tuned for more on diet during pregnancy and its role in celiac disease.
    Source:
    PLoS Med. 2018 Feb; 15(2): e1002507. doi:  10.1371/journal.pmed.1002507

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/17/2018 - What can fat soluble vitamin levels in newly diagnosed children tell us about celiac disease? A team of researchers recently assessed fat soluble vitamin levels in children diagnosed with newly celiac disease to determine whether vitamin levels needed to be assessed routinely in these patients during diagnosis.
    The researchers evaluated the symptoms of celiac patients in a newly diagnosed pediatric group and evaluated their fat soluble vitamin levels and intestinal biopsies, and then compared their vitamin levels with those of a healthy control group.
    The research team included Yavuz Tokgöz, Semiha Terlemez and Aslıhan Karul. They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, the Department of Pediatrics, and the Department of Biochemistry at Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty in Aydın, Turkey.
    The team evaluated 27 female, 25 male celiac patients, and an evenly divided group of 50 healthy control subjects. Patients averaged 9 years, and weighed 16.2 kg. The most common symptom in celiac patients was growth retardation, which was seen in 61.5%, with  abdominal pain next at 51.9%, and diarrhea, seen in 11.5%. Histological examination showed nearly half of the patients at grade Marsh 3B. 
    Vitamin A and vitamin D levels for celiac patients were significantly lower than the control group. Vitamin A and vitamin D deficiencies were significantly more common compared to healthy subjects. Nearly all of the celiac patients showed vitamin D insufficiency, while nearly 62% showed vitamin D deficiency. Nearly 33% of celiac patients showed vitamin A deficiency. 
    The team saw no deficiencies in vitamin E or vitamin K1 among celiac patients. In the healthy control group, vitamin D deficiency was seen in 2 (4%) patients, vitamin D insufficiency was determined in 9 (18%) patients. The team found normal levels of all other vitamins in the healthy group.
    Children with newly diagnosed celiac disease showed significantly reduced levels of vitamin D and A. The team recommends screening of vitamin A and D levels during diagnosis of these patients.
    Source:
    BMC Pediatrics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AmberLEE87

• Topics

• I say that's proof enough that gluten or at least wheat hurts your body, and that you shouldn't eat it anymore. If you want, you can do what I did when I first thought I might be gluten intolerant or Celiac, go another 3 weeks without eating any of it, being really careful, and then try a piece of bread or even just two bites like you accidentally had at that dinner. If you feel sick again, you know that's what it is. I'm like you and don't have the means to get an actual biopsy of my intestine. I was able to get blood test, but I took them while I was eating gluten-free, because the doctor didn't tell me I should be eating gluten. So that was pretty much useless. But I know my body, and I know that I feel horrible even when I have a tiny bit of gluten. So I just never eat it. I told restaurants that I either have Celiac or at least an allergy, they seem to react to the word allergy, and usually treat me well and treat it like it's serious. While I won't go into anaphylactic shock if I eat it, I will be sick for days, even if that doesn't mean actually throwing up or anything, it will just generally mess up a lot of systems in my body. I used to be just generally gluten-free, never eating bread or noodles, but always being okay with french fries and sauces and Seasonings, I mean just eating that without checking ingredients. Ever since I learned more about celiac, I started to avoid sauces, seasonings, and french fries and the like unless I knew for sure 100% that they were gluten free. I've been asking restaurants if they use shared fryers or not. Anyway, since I started being even more careful, like someone with celiac, I felt even better. I have way less bloating, I'm more regular, and generally I have more energy. It does take time and some trial-and-error, but I think you can definitely take care of yourself without having to go to a doctor. Maybe don't go around flaunting that you have celiac, but still definitely take care of yourself and tell servers, managers, cooks, even your grandma if she cooks dinner for you, that you have a gluten or wheat allergy, you're not lying. It really does negatively affect your body. So be true to yourself and don't worry about what other people say. I hope this helps.
    • Well first I want to say, I seriously sympathize with the OP. Dh doesn't seem to be my "symptom of choice", but in fact the farther I go in and maybe occasionally screw up after longer and longer periods of time... the worse the next reaction is or next withdrawal is. This is so bad ugh  hopefully we get through it soon.   Now... regarding the post I quoted... do you know of a gluten free / soy free brand of Vitamin D? A I suppose too but I don't think from my research that I'm deficient in that one.
    • Hey I know exactly how you feel. I recently came down with this and have had to deal with making others understand it. Also, the whole thing of foods that don't actually contain gluten causing me some kind of reaction. I think once you've loaded up on gluten in your past to the point of having a situation arise that lets you know it's time to quit... your body is so beat up and weakened and then you make this major dietary change... so it's bound to cause kind of a chain reaction and a lot of things will at least temporarily be too hard on your stomach and immune system, many of which will be the common food allergens, aka things that are commonly hard on one's stomach and immune system. At this point I too am tempted to freak out, but I keep telling myself that most of it besides gluten is probably temporary. Do you consume a lot of soy? That's another one I think might linger for me, and if you read much, the overwhelming consensus is that it's lingering in everything and slowly destroying us all haha. That might be a good one to strictly avoid for a longer period of time. Anyway, best wishes on getting through this. We're in the early stages and yeah, it really sucks.
    • I found improvement when I excluded iodine (as in iodized salt and shellfish). Vitamin D and A supplements help, too.  Hope you find relief soon!    
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events