• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

skipper30

How Do You Keep Others From Feeding Your Child

Rate this topic

I am hoping that others parents can help us out here...last week on a camping trip with our church, our son was glutened...it was while he was at another families campsite and totally innocent on their part. He is 3 and really does a good job of being very careful what he takes from others. His big brother (6) felt really bad and said that he thought it was ok....anyway what I am wondering is how do those of you who have been around a while with this handle outings like this...we have joked about getting him a shirt that says "Don't feed the kid!" :D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all!!

Dallas

Why not a "don't feed the kid" shirt?

http://store.yahoo.com/meandmyallergy/tshirts.html

http://jeeto.com/allergycol_glutenfree.html <---those are cute

also cute... http://www.fiddledeeids.com/catalog.php?it...gy%2520t-shirts

There are others out there,that's just an example.

And teaching the kids not to take anything from anyone without asking a parent first

We lable our child with bright green neon sitckers that say the can only have food from his bag when we leave him at pre-school/sunday school. We also talk to every parent that might be in postion to be over him. It took asome time but we got everyone trained. I find being very proactive, and makeing it easy as possible on the other parents is best. Instead of teaching them all about how to find safe food, I give them a bag of safe food and tell them he can only have his food. Stuff like that. Takes time and persistannce, but everyone we have worked with has been good about it, and I think most are whne you cna be protactive and make it easy on them.

thanks...the shirts are cute and I did order a few!! It seems so strange, but when I think I have thought of everything...something like this happens and I am amazed at how I missed that one!!

Cooper does do a good job of saying no, but I guess he thought that he said no to the cinnamon roll so why not indulge in a little fruit snacks. Oh well, we live and learn.

I appreciate this shirt ideas..they are cute. I was just wanting to avoid sitting 15 families down at the next campout in June and brief them!! Thanks!!

Dallas

Belle has lmost become paranoid about getting gluten as she knows how sick it makes her. (she just turned 4 a month ago) She will not take anything w/o asking if it is gluten free. She then asks us. She even asks me if something is gluten free before she takes it from me! LOL! And i am gluten-free too! I am still afraid that one day I won't be around and she was say is it gluten-free and someone not knowing what it is will say yep! I do talk to all people in charge when leaving her. And I was at a b-day party with her and I had walked away and they offered her pizza. She said no thank you I can't have that, I brought some food. I was so proud!

My kids have bright neon stickers on them and their bags, and stuff that say "DO NOT FEED ME ANYTHING"

that way I can triple check anything that passes their little lips.

Also, it's pretty much a given around my church "DON'T FEED JOEY'S KIDS ANYTHING"

most people don't really know why, but they know not to feed them LOL

I think sitting fifteen families down - briefly - and letting them know is VITAL. Someone allergic to peanuts (anaphlactic allergy) would do the same, and this is really a serious issue as well. You're not putting them out, you're just letting them know something important.