This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help: Toddler Puking!

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

OKay, umm this is the first time this has happen since he has gone gluten-free and I realized that umm, what do you give a gluten-free kid to mucnh on. He puked up ALOT, has to be a full stomcha load. I was thinking maybe some fo his carnation instanbrafast to replace what he lost in a "sippy cup" ? We have "Food For Life Brown Rice Bread" so I was thiunking peanutbutter toast (he does not like plain bread) but realy just not sure. IF it was me , I would eat a ltte see how I felt then eat more. But he lacks the language to comminicate that concept yet.

Ans for why? Dunno. Prbly a stomache bug.....he acting fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Poor Tymber :( --at this point, I would think something light like apple juice (sipped slowly), toast w/ a little jelly for taste, popsicles, a little banana, clear broth. Also, do you have any gluten-free crackers? Hopefully, he'll be all better by tomorrow! Just go easy, and do make sure he gets some additional fluids to replace what he lost. :)

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

when I am sick my doctor says to not eat until 1 hour after I have puked, then go on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apple sauce, toast) when my girls have been sick we replaced the toast with Van's waffles.

It seems to work, after a few hours we feel better. During the hour after barfing that you aren't eating you can sip on gatorade, warm tea, or pedialyte. (we prefer warm tea)

VydorScope Proficient

I must be a horrible parent, we do not have any of that, cept the fronze Food For Life bread to make toast. :huh: Kroger wont have any gluten-free crackers I dont think. I could get some banana's , apples, and gatoraid. He of course is no help, acting like he is not sick at all. And makeing demands then only a toddler can get away with LOL.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I must be a horrible parent, we do not have any of that, cept the fronze Food For Life bread to make toast. :huh: Kroger wont have any gluten-free crackers I dont think. I could get some banana's , apples, and gatoraid. He of course is no help, acting like he is not sick at all. And makeing demands then only a toddler can get away with LOL.

you are NOT a bad parent. Every parent I have ever met has had to go to the store to get "basic" things that they thought they had (like bandaids when my kid was bleeding all over me) and supplies for a stomach bug.

If however you were a bad parent, you really wouldn't care would you?

Toast should be fine. I don't keep gluten-free bread in my house, so maybe I am the bad parent LOL

jerseyangel Proficient

Aren't kids great--the way they bounce back! Glad to hear he's already feeling better--the most important thing is the liquids, anyway. What a mother's day gift for your wife--cleaning up puke :lol: Oh well, us moms are used to stuff like that. Wish her a happy day for me :)

VydorScope Proficient
Aren't kids great--the way they bounce back! Glad to hear he's already feeling better--the most important thing is the liquids, anyway. What a mother's day gift for your wife--cleaning up puke :lol: Oh well, us moms are used to stuff like that. Wish her a happy day for me :)

AHEM, *I* was the one on my knees shampooing hte carpet, she got to toss him in the tub!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
AHEM, *I* was the one on my knees shampooing hte carpet, she got to toss him in the tub!

You're a good dad, too :D !!

VydorScope Proficient

Okay I am gonna run to kroger get some banana's (he likes them) , and apples, and gatoraid... and prbly somthing to eat for me in the turck ride back or likey I wont get a turn! LOL Hmm myabe some fabreeze too...

Thanks!

Guest nini

awww Vincent, sorry Tymber puked all over you guys! When Chey did that the last time, the Dr. said to just let her sip liquids, and eat bananas and gluten-free crackers... all she wanted to do was eat the gluten-free crackers. I bought a case of EnerG crackers, and don't think I'll be running out of them any time soon! The most important thing is to replace electrolytes, so Gatorade is a good choice, or Pedialyte... Chey hates pedialyte so we have to use gatorade.

VydorScope Proficient

Welp he not happy with the gatorade. :( Shoudl have gotten apple juice while I was there, cause all we have it Kroger brand tang, and milk. Oh and kroger brand diet coke. I guess the tang would be next best?

jerseyangel Proficient

You could water down the Tang some, so he'll get some flavor. Do you have any ginger ale or sprite or anything like that? Of course, you'll want to lay off the milk till his stomach is back to normal.

VydorScope Proficient
You could water down the Tang some, so he'll get some flavor. Do you have any ginger ale or sprite or anything like that? Of course, you'll want to lay off the milk till his stomach is back to normal.

Nope. Well we got flavored carbinatoed sugar free water... but nowhe drinkning teh gatorade... so dunno if he just got thirsty enough or what LOL

Guest nini

oh, I also remembered that Chey's dr.s office said to let her suck on popsicles if she wouldn't drink anything else...

VydorScope Proficient

OF course now we are wondering.. this happend 4-6 hours after his Sunday School.... is it a stomache bug, or did he still some food from one of his freinds? :( He a very tough little guy and its very hard to know how he is feeling, but he is defintly moving a bit slower... and right now he is cuddled up on the couch with his mommy. I dont ahve to tell you what his diaper looked like, any parent of a toddler prbly knows too well! :lol:

StrongerToday Enthusiast

The last time my daughter threw up she'd just had some Cheetos.... :o I'll speak no more about that incident.

Is Pedialyte gluten-free? Otherwise I'd stick with water or a mixture of water/clear juices until he lets you know he's hungry, and then very small meals. Popsicles are good too.

My daughter did have a marathon incident where I actually took her into the ER, she just kept throwing up over and over... the nurse did say to let her stomach rest at least an hour or two before I gave her any thing, even liquids.

He's tough, I think it's harder on the parents! Good luck.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hope he's feeling better Vincent!

I second the popsicles (or freezies). That's what my kids usually go for..... and Jell-O.

Hugs.

Karen

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Popsicles are great! So is crushed ice with a little apple juice (lots of crushed ice and a SMALL amount of apple juice, otherwise it's a recipe for diarrhea). Our ped says to water the Gatorade so it's half water, half Gatorade-otherwise it's too sugar-heavy. My kids like the blue flavors for some reason--they say the rest taste awful. (I think they all taste awful!)

Anyway, I wouldn't let him eat anything unless he can keep liquids down barf-free for at least an hour (even if he says he's hungry). I think eating too soon after barfing, while the tummy is still upset, is why so many toddlers end up in the ER with dehydration. Clear liquids first, then the BRAT diet!

Hope he's feeling better, hope you guys don't get it, and hope you get a good night's sleep!

VydorScope Proficient

Well he is alseep now. He did not end up eating anythinng, but he had 2 or 3 cups of gatorade. Im hoping this is just a stomache bug and notthing more....

OH he did have a popiscle. He likes them. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Glad to hear that all is well--now you guys can get some rest! :)

VydorScope Proficient

Thanks for all the suggestions! Hopefully come tommorow he will be fine, and this willjust be another typical day in a toddler controled house! :lol:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

LOL! I know all about a "kid-controlled" house! Except, Eileen thinks it's a tween-controlled house, Rhiannon thinks it's a 7 yr old-controlled house and of course the boys think they totally control everything!

I'm glad he's asleep. I always slept with the kids when they had a stomach bug. My instinct would wake me up as soon as they woke and I had the bucket under their mouth quicker than you can say "kissing porcelain"!!!! It saved on a whole lot of washing/cleaning!

Karen

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I learned to put 2 or 3 big, thick towels on top of the sheets before they got in bed. My aim must not be as good as yours, Karen, because even sleeping with them, I couldn't catch ALL of it with the barf bowl! But having the towels helped--I would just take off a towel and throw it into the washing machine--no need to change the entire bed (usually...)!

wolfie Enthusiast

Hope that he is feeling better today! There is nothing worse than a puking toddler. :(

Archived