Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Texas Celiac

? About Toddler With celiac disease And Milk Allergy

Hi all,

I have celiac disease and Grave disease. I started my gluten-free diet about 2 weeks ago. I have 4 children and I am going to get them all the celiac blood panel. I highly suspect that my 3 year old has celiac disease and either a milk allergy or is lactose intolerant. He is 27 pounds and is very small and thin for his age. He also has developmental delays. He does not say very many words. He is in the public school system (PPCD) to get help with these developmental delays.

My question is: What is the difference between a milk allergy and lactose intolerance. Every time he eats milk products (which he loves), he becomes VERY constipated. We have to give him medication daily. He has been this way since 7 months old when he stopped breastfeeding. The developmental delays seemed to start at about 1 year or maybe a little earlier.

I bought 2 books about celiac disease: Dangerous Grains and the other one is Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. These books suggest that there is a correlation between developmental delays and celiac disease.

I am wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences with developmental delays or maybe a child with severe constipation and a milk allergy or lactose intolerance.

Also, any suggestions for a gluten free diet for a picky eating toddler? He loves cereal, pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches.

Texas Celiac