• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

skipper30

Still Trying To Figure This Stuff Out

Rate this topic

Please forgive my ignorance to all this stuff, but I am still trying to get it all figured out...my question is this:

Since Celiac is an inherited autoimmune disorder...does that mean at least one of the parents HAS to have it also??

One of the parents has to have the GENE, but not necessarily the DISEASE. My younger son has Celiac but my husband, older son, my Mom and I have all tested (blood work only) negative. We have not had gene tests, but I am sure from signing up as a bone marrow donor one time that I have HLA B8 which is one of the genes associated somehow with Celiac.

Please forgive my ignorance to all this stuff, but I am still trying to get it all figured out...my question is this:

Since Celiac is an inherited autoimmune disorder...does that mean at least one of the parents HAS to have it also??

One of the parents has to have one of the genes - and not all of the genes have yet to be identified.