• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Texas Celiac

Looking For Good Tasting Bread Recipe

Rate this topic

I bought Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Comfort Foods and I am going to try a few bread recipes. I need to purchase the flour since I just started on my gluten free diet 2 weeks ago.

I am hoping that someone will share their own personal gluten-free white bread recipe with me since individual taste vary from person to person. This may be a trial and error type of thing.

We can't use the pre-mixes due to other allergies and don't own a bread machine. After trying numerous recipes, I found the one at this website to be the best for us...

http://www.twinvalleymills.com/pages/recipes.html

Another tip that I have found very true is that bread turns out better if made in smaller pans (muffin tins, mini-loaf pans etc).

I also preheat the oven to lowest setting (mine is 170) and set the filled pans in it, turn the oven off and let rise until just at the top of the pans. Then turn the oven back on and bake for about 35-40 minutes (mini=loaves or muffin tins)

I tried several recipes at home... at least two of Bette Hagman's. They were a lot of work... tasted okay for the first slice or two... texture wasn't so good.

I'm Manna from Anna's biggest fan. I order the mixes by the case... make a loaf and a few rolls (in english muffin rounds)... slice the loaf and freeze 'em.

Hi Texas Celiac

I order my anna's bread directly from her by the cases. I think it is in most natural health food stores around the country. I will say if you were a towntalk white bread person you probably will not like the bread. It is an earthy bread but by far the best I've had but I never ate white bread before my gluten-free days........I make a loaf , slice it and freeze between paper so it comes apart easy. I also eat balck china rice bread toasted with cream cheese for my breakfast sometimes whenI want a different tasting bread but I don't care for it any other way...You can make anna's bread by hand or in the machine. And she is a wonderful person to talk to.....If you order from her tell her sande from pennsylvania told you about her mixes..... I don't get anything for that but I like to let her know I try to promote gluten-free foods that are really good and hers happens to be one of the best out there........

another place that had terrific hard crusty rolls & baguettes is Everybody Eats, they are pricey but wonderful. You can look at there website to check them out.

If I can be of any other help please pm me anytime.

mamaw