• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lister

Products I Have To Use For Work

Rate this topic

So first off i read something about papertowls containing gluten?? im pretty sure its not true but i figured iw ould ask since i use them on a daily basis

also i use some sort of liquid soap and liquid sanatizer when i was my hands at work *required by law * as im in food handling * yep i get to work with gluten all day long everyday just now i wear gloves all the time* but just wondering if like liquid sanatizers and stuff could contain gluten i dought it but i guess you never know

unfortunatly we dont use bottles its a hand pump :( like on that hangs on the wall i guess if im carefull i can like push the lever with my other arm and let it squirt on my hand yeah its purrell how about there hand soap ? as i have to use that as well

Lister - you mentioned in another post (I think) about how you are constantly ill. Perhaps the food industry might not be the best choice for you. Your health is more important. I had to quit my job in a bakery.

Lister - I too had to transfer with my job due to celiac. I worked in a nursing home and had to feed the residents. My doctor told me that I wasn't even supposed to be cutting their food or handling it. They wouldn't allow me to wear gloves while handling the food because they thought it would look bad. After all this is their home. Even at home I wear gloves when preparing all foods and have a part of the kitchen that is only for me. When in doubt I always clean my area. At work you never know when you are inhaling or ingesting gluten.

I remember the paper towel thing on this forum from a few months ago. It was the glue that holds the paper towels on the cardboard roll that has the gluten in it. I've been assuming that all paper towel glue is the same, so use the last part of the roll for non-kitchen stuff. If it's the commercial folded stacks of paper towels that aren't on a roll, I'd think you'd be safe. Like someone else said, it should just be paper pulp.

Here's the thread -

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...13576&hl=brawny

I wouldn't worry about paper towels and the sanitizers are probably gluten-free, but you can also always wash that off.

I hate to say it, but if you keep getting sick, the real problem is almost certainly your job. If you're handling stuff with gluten all the time it's going to get into your mouth somehow. Inhaling is generally only a problem in place like a bakery where you have loose flour flying around. The flour can then get in the back of your throat and be swallowed.

richard

In regards to inhaling gluten at work. I asked my husband about flour on and in the bags of buns and French fries. He said that the minute you open a bag that is vacuum sealed the flour is in the air. Same goes for bread bags at home and any product that may use flour to prevent caking. My husband worked at burger king when he was younger and says there is no way to avoid gluten in that place no matter how careful. Hope this helps

alright well im gonna talk to my boss atleast about only working me upfront, only things up there are onion rings and french frys. and as long as ikeep gloves on for the small amount of time i have to be back there aka/ to grab something like cups or to make salads for upfront really fast , maybe this will help me. Nothing with bread is really vaccum sealed there, the buns do come in plastic but there loose, same with all the fried products but it still makes sense that i could easly get cc from working back there as almost everyting contains gluten and hten you put thebun on it and its a gluten sandwich.