• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

lizisgf

Anyone Around Mchenry, Illinois

Rate this topic

I just want to say Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Lake In The Hills, Il and went to McHenry often to do my target practice. I was not diagnosed when I lived there, but you might call NIMC and see if they know of a group.

I have yet to find a support group around here. Are you newly diagnosed? I could offer some tips if you need them.

Yes I am. I've been going gluten-free for about 4 weeks now. In spite of it, some symptoms keep coming and going - it's very confusing. I've found a lot of good advice on this board and more than a few good places to shop around here. Interestingly enough, my wife was shopping at Woodman's and overheard another shopper sighing after discovering a product had malt in it. She directed her to the gluten-free section and showed her what she found. :)

I'd still like to find a group to deal with the day-to-day things that come up. Like what to do when everyone wants to go eating at a certain place and you're not too sure about the food prep. No, I don't want to have a salad when everyone else is eating burgers and fries!

I'm sure everyone here has had days like that.

For those of you that are within driving distance of All Ways Healthy Health food store in Lake Zurich. I have to tell you that they are definately familiar with Celiac and the gluten free diet. Carole the owner has been gluten free for many years and by choice. When I was first diagnosed, I called her from AZ to ask about things I could eat. She directed me to cakes, pasta and just about everything else. She personally has tried most of the gluten-free foods in her store. Her phone number is 847-438-9200 and the address is 123 S. Rand Road. Please tell her that armetta sent you. I have no affilitation with the store. Only that I shopped there before I left Illinois. Carole is a well informed and caring individual. You can ask her about vitamins that you should be taking also.

Actually, it took me a long time to be symptom free.

So, you know about Woodmans. That place is pretty good for gluten-free. I'm sure you know about Whole Foods. I make a run there about once a month. The bread they make is really good as well as blueberry muffins. I freeze two pieces of bread together so that it's easier to only thaw enough for me.

My personal preferences are the following:

Pasta: bionaturae Gluten Free Pasta. (I really love this stuff!)

and Tinkyada. I do not care for anyother ones. That's just me though.

Cake/Brownie Mixes: 'Cause You're Special and The Gluten Free Pantry. I'm not much of a fan of any other ones.

I have a really good chocolate flourless cake, peanut butter cookies and a few other receipes. If you'd like, I could give them to you. I don't want to bog you down with alot of useless info.

By the way, when I go out to eat, I normally eat steak or a cheeseburger with no bun. Though I'm sick of plain cheeseburgers. I'm sure you've heard of Outback's gluten-free menu. Also, near us is Dunnhills. I think you can also get the pork chops there gluten-free. The staff there is pretty good at letting you know what does/doesn't have gluten. They also have Flourless Chocolate cake. When I go to fast food, like Portillo's or Culvers, I order a bunless chili dog and fries. It's a 50/50 chance that I'll be okay. But it's never been a bad reaction, so I chance it. When I go to Wendy's, I order the Taco Supreme Salad. Sometimes I order fries, even though they say it's not gluten-free.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Actually, it took me a long time to be symptom free.

So, you know about Woodmans. That place is pretty good for gluten-free. I'm sure you know about Whole Foods. I make a run there about once a month. The bread they make is really good as well as blueberry muffins. I freeze two pieces of bread together so that it's easier to only thaw enough for me.

My personal preferences are the following:

Pasta: bionaturae Gluten Free Pasta. (I really love this stuff!)

and Tinkyada. I do not care for anyother ones. That's just me though.

Cake/Brownie Mixes: 'Cause You're Special and The Gluten Free Pantry. I'm not much of a fan of any other ones.

I have a really good chocolate flourless cake, peanut butter cookies and a few other receipes. If you'd like, I could give them to you. I don't want to bog you down with alot of useless info.

By the way, when I go out to eat, I normally eat steak or a cheeseburger with no bun. Though I'm sick of plain cheeseburgers. I'm sure you've heard of Outback's gluten-free menu. Also, near us is Dunnhills. I think you can also get the pork chops there gluten-free. The staff there is pretty good at letting you know what does/doesn't have gluten. They also have Flourless Chocolate cake. When I go to fast food, like Portillo's or Culvers, I order a bunless chili dog and fries. It's a 50/50 chance that I'll be okay. But it's never been a bad reaction, so I chance it. When I go to Wendy's, I order the Taco Supreme Salad. Sometimes I order fries, even though they say it's not gluten-free.

If you need anything else, let me know.

My wife has been hitting the library looking for gluten-free cookbooks. I'm not sure which one's winning the popularity contest yet. Funny story - I had some cookbooks I had checked out and my wife wanted me to renew because she wasn't done with them. However, the library said someone else had them on hold so we had to return them. The next day the library let my wife know that her books were in - we had both put the same books on hold!

I've had pretty good experience with Wendy's - I usually get a plain baked potato and side salad. Boston Market is pretty good too, though you have to keep on them about holding off the bread and gravy. I'll have to give Dunnhills a try. Also, I used to go to Guv'nor's before I was gluten-free. I may go back and try my gluten-free skills on their manager. My son's football team is having a get-together at Nero's Pizza in Algonquin. Since I'm guessing there's so much flour in the kitchen, I may not risk it and just bring my own food.