This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why On Earth Am I So Sick Right Now?

penguin

penguin Community Regular

For the last two days, I've been SICK. I hugged a heating pad to my stomach so I could sleep, took bentyl, 3 tylenol to keep the pain at bay. I've had D, been nauseated, and got up in the middle of the night both nights with D. I'm exhausted, weak, and nauseated after everything I eat. I seem to get D after every meal as well.

I'm gluten-free, what's the deal?! All of my personal products are gluten-free, and I didn't eat out and I don't know what the deal is. I've been gluten-free ~4 months now.

I'm thinking that since I got symptoms at night the last two nights, it had to be with dinner.

Sunday: Pot roast made in Lipton onion soup, garlic, beef, and safeway frozen stew veggies. Gravy made with clabber girl cornstrch. Had Kozy Shack tapioca pudding for dessert.

Monday: Shepard's pie (cottage pie if you want to be technical) made with leftover meat and gravy, safeway frozen peas and carrots, and Idahoan premium potato flakes (milk, butter, lemon pepper). Had Kozy Shack tapioca pudding for dessert.

The only new thing were the frozen veggies. Adam didn't get sick, so it wasn't food poisioning.

I have to work until 9 tonight, we have an event. I can't get out of it because my boss and I are the only ones running it. Help. What happened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

UMMMmmMM

Prehaps your merely just sick?

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Oh that is awful. NOthing looks suspicious to me...I suppose you'd know if you had the flu? Stupid question, I know. I guess a fever would indicate that.

Hang in there honey, all I can suggest is immodium. And definitely take tomorrow off....I feel your pain, once had to pour wine at an event w/ 1500 people and had 102 fever.....this too shall pass.....

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'd vote that either you're sick, or a dairy thing. (BTW, you can have one person able to fight off a food poisoning bug and another unable, though that's less common. Particularly if you're doing this bad. It's worth talking to your doc with D for this long, however.)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Well there was dairy in everything you ate...

Have you considered eliminating dairy to see if that helps? You could have developed an allergy or intolerance to milk even if you didn't have one previously...

I generally don't have a dairy problem, unless I chug a whole glass of milk. It normally does not bother me, especially if it's cultured like cheese or yogurt. The pudding may have upset me, I don't know. I'm not sure tapioca agrees with me entirely. Usually the only time I have a problem with dairy is after being glutened.

I probably am just sick, although I'm not digesting. That's important to mention I guess. Garbage in, garbage out, looking the same at either point. I didn't have the neuro symptoms of glutening that I normally do. Probably just sick. It's so easy to blame everything on gluten, isn't it?

What sucks is that I have to be in a wedding this weekend 9 hours away. I better be better by then! there is a silver lining, though. Maybe loosing a couple of pounds like I am this week will make me look like less of a fudgesicle in the dang bridesmaid dress :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Sorry you're so sick!! :( Do watch out for tapioca--it causes me to have symptoms very similar to gluten. And that got worse over time. Good luck with all the stuff you have planned--why do these things always seem to be scheduled exactly when we have a health crisis?? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Um not to be superficial or anything or make light of your illness Chelsea, but DID YOU WATCH Grey's Anatomy?? OMG - - - OMG - - - Denny is gone, Izzy - what will become of her? Can she possibly leave the show?? And - - McDreamy and Meredith....you know, the veterinarian and McDreamy's wife should be together, I think...

ebrbetty Rising Star

sorry to hear your feeling bad..I can't eat any red meat unless its all natural, all the crap they inject in meats makes me sick..lots of pain

Um not to be superficial or anything or make light of your illness Chelsea, but DID YOU WATCH Grey's Anatomy?? OMG - - - OMG - - - Denny is gone, Izzy - what will become of her? Can she possibly leave the show?? And - - McDreamy and Meredith....you know, the veterinarian and McDreamy's wife should be together, I think...

Ditto to all!!!

They can't get rid of Izzy. They can't.

I was shouting at the tv when Meredith and McDreamy went into that room. I'm so sick of that storyline, I don't want it to be Ross and Rachel in scrubs :rolleyes:

Green12 Enthusiast
For the last two days, I've been SICK. I hugged a heating pad to my stomach so I could sleep, took bentyl, 3 tylenol to keep the pain at bay. I've had D, been nauseated, and got up in the middle of the night both nights with D. I'm exhausted, weak, and nauseated after everything I eat. I seem to get D after every meal as well.

I'm gluten-free, what's the deal?! All of my personal products are gluten-free, and I didn't eat out and I don't know what the deal is. I've been gluten-free ~4 months now.

I'm thinking that since I got symptoms at night the last two nights, it had to be with dinner.

Sunday: Pot roast made in Lipton onion soup, garlic, beef, and safeway frozen stew veggies. Gravy made with clabber girl cornstrch. Had Kozy Shack tapioca pudding for dessert.

Monday: Shepard's pie (cottage pie if you want to be technical) made with leftover meat and gravy, safeway frozen peas and carrots, and Idahoan premium potato flakes (milk, butter, lemon pepper). Had Kozy Shack tapioca pudding for dessert.

The only new thing were the frozen veggies. Adam didn't get sick, so it wasn't food poisioning.

I have to work until 9 tonight, we have an event. I can't get out of it because my boss and I are the only ones running it. Help. What happened?

Chelse,

Maybe this is something, or maybe it's not, but I have been looking into corn allergies and more recently MSG sensitivities thanks to Rachel and from the information I read Lipton soup mixes are the worst thing you could eat with a MSG sensitivity- people react to it badly. The corn starch might be an issue related to this as well and I see from your food log you had it 2 days in a row with the gravy.

I don't know if these are things you eat on a regular basis and are fine with and now all of a sudden you are sick. I'm just beginning to investigate about MSG but it seems to be a real problem especially for people with auto-immune conditions and is progressive, the more you eat the more you react kind of thing.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Maybe this is something, or maybe it's not, but I have been looking into corn allergies and more recently MSG sensitivities thanks to Rachel and from the information I read Lipton soup mixes are the worst thing you could eat with a MSG sensitivity- people react to it badly. The corn starch might be an issue related to this as well and I see from your food log you had it 2 days in a row with the gravy.

I was thinking the same exact thing when I started reading this thread. The Lipton and the cornstarch = lots of MSG. I wasnt gonna say anything about it cuz maybe I just have MSG on my brain or whatever but yeah...I wouldnt rule it out. All of a sudden it seems like people are coming out of the woodwork telling me how terrible they react to MSG....its kind of freaking me out....mainly cuz I knew nothing about it all my life. :huh:

I saw some kind of list of companies that use large amounts of MSG in their products. I think lipton was at the top of the list. The others I can recall are Frito Lay, Kraft (they use it in everything), Knorr....thats about all I can remember right now.

Oh....I found a link

Open Original Shared Link

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Just wanted to add that Lipton Onion soup mix always gives me gastro upset too. I used to be fine with it until I went gluten free (about 3-4 months now). Just a thought! Hope you feel better soon.

Felidae Enthusiast

At four months gluten-free, dairy started to bother me out of the blue. Hopefully, this is not the case for you.

Lister Rising Star

it really just sounds like you got a stomic bug of some sort, sorry to hear that your feeling so sick. Get lots of sleep. For some reason atleast from where i am from the flu is going around again :( i already got it last month so unless its a new strand i should be good, but becarefull and get better

GravStars Contributor

i've read that lipton soup mix box and i wouldn't eat it based on the ingredients, problem with gluten or not. lots of controversy over msg. i don't think its safe for anyone

gfp Enthusiast
I'd vote that either you're sick, or a dairy thing. (BTW, you can have one person able to fight off a food poisoning bug and another unable, though that's less common. Particularly if you're doing this bad. It's worth talking to your doc with D for this long, however.)

Also one person can have a very delayed reaction compared to another with the same poisioning.

On the lipton soup stuff I don't know it but even here in France I use Kallo stock cubes amnd i never use packet soup mixes for bases no matter ... its half food snobbery and half just not taking the risk and the more ingredients the more chance any one of them is contaminated or switched to a possible gluten derivative.

I only use pure corn starch as well and its a case of keeping everything as basic as possible.

I honestly don't think the packets really even save time or very little if you get used to using basics. What I find is changing the order of cooking means you use the time inbetween to do prep (like mixing cornflour) and having it ready and boiling an electric kettle for the stock or making my own while doing something else, indeed I tend to keep stock on the go as I chop vegetables etc. I just wash them and add them to the ongoing stock. instead of binning them .... timewise it might take a tiny bit longer in prep but you also save at the supermarket by missing whole rows out....

I don't have any corn problems, in fact, eating corn seems to HELP my digestion. I feel really good digestively after eating popcorn, etc.

I've eaten roast that way 6000000 times, even since being gluten-free, and I've been fine.

I really think it's the tapioca, I notice too much at once makes my stomach hurt.

Dairy is fine for me, thus far anyway.

I'm feeling much better today, since I actually got sleep. Sometimes my stomach goes wierd on me anyway.

Thanks for all the help!!

gfp Enthusiast
I don't have any corn problems, in fact, eating corn seems to HELP my digestion. I feel really good digestively after eating popcorn, etc.

Personally I find popped corn much easier to digest than the non popped fresh variety .. can't think of a better way to put it than I can always see when I have eaten corn that isn't popped but the actually popping part seems to break the hard parts off and make the rest digestible at least in me...

I've eaten roast that way 6000000 times, even since being gluten-free, and I've been fine.

Yes but that is the problem with something with lots of ingredients, each one is potential for contamination or just their supplier supplying one type of say maltodextrine vs a wheat based one just because its what's available...

I'm feeling much better today, since I actually got sleep. Sometimes my stomach goes wierd on me anyway.

That's the main thing, I was racking my brains all day as to what poisioned me and wondering why I didn't get brain fog after spending the night in the smallest room in the house. Then I realised I had a very stressfull week (like you wouldn't beleive and hadn't actually eaten for 2 days ... Well 2 bananas and a yogourt) because of the stress ... personally I think that can be enough but not eating and the worry easily explains a bad tummy and the reason I didn't get brainfog is because I wasn't glutened!

VydorScope Proficient

Thans great!! YAY!!! :D

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Glad you are feeling better, Chelsea! :)

Lollie Enthusiast

I just got back in town. Sorry you weren't feeling well. But glad your better now!!!! I know that when I have alot of stress, I stop eating as well as I normally do and then I always feel like I've got a stomach bug. In fact I feel that way right now. I hope you stay on top!!!!!!!

Lollie

Archived