• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hello.....I have been drinking soy shakes at home that I make from a powder.....I called the co. and they said it is gluten-free but I sometimes feel like I ate gluten later in the day......Are there any safe powder drink mixes out there? IN HIS NAME.....Deena

It may not be gluten at all, but rather, that you can't tolerate soy, either. Many people here have that problem, including me. Soy is NOT a healthy alternative, despite the hype claiming it is.

Too much soy bothers me, so instead of soy protein powder (I make my own smoothies, who needs to have all the wacky ingredients when you can just use whole foods), I use rice or hemp protein powder. (I can't have dairy either.)

Too much soy bothers me, so instead of soy protein powder (I make my own smoothies, who needs to have all the wacky ingredients when you can just use whole foods), I use rice or hemp protein powder. (I can't have dairy either.)

What is hemp? Deena

What is hemp? Deena

It is a plant. One species of it is grown (illegally in the US) for marijuana because it has high quantities of the psychoactive chemical THC. Other species are grown commercially (primarily in Canada or Europe, due to legal restrictions) for textiles (ropes and fabrics) and food. The species grown for food have virtually no THC, and smoking those plants - even the portions harboring the highest contents of THC - cannot get you high. It's comparable to the amount of arsnic found in apple seeds. Eating the seeds (or leaves, for that matter) of those species will not get you high, or show up on a drug test, either.

(Just wanted to cover those basics... there's a lot of fear mongering over hemp.)

Hemp is actually a very nutritious seed, with about 35% of its calories from a fairly balanced protein, about 40% of its calories from fat (and nearly 20% of that from omega-3's), and a good amount of fiber. It's most similar, nutritionally, in the common foods that we talk about on here, to flax seeds.

Unfortunately, it's expensive, and there is limited availability, so even for someone who purposefully devotes a large portion of budget to food, it's a luxury item, so I only get to put hemp seeds on yogurt once in a while. :-)

Why not just make it with soy milk? Is the protein count that much higher in the powder?

A lot of soy milks have a lot of sugar. Even unsweetened silk has more sugar than soy protein powder, and most people hate the taste of that stuff. ;-) (More for me! :-) )