• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi there. I recently began to suspect celiacs disease after "googling" a number of my symptoms on-line. I've eliminated all known sources of gluten from my diet for the past month or so, but I'm not sure I feel 100% better. At what point should I suspect to feel better if it is, in fact, gluten, that has caused my symptoms -- namely persistent bloating, depression, low estrogen, fatigue and an inability to gain weight?

I don't recall any symptoms growing up, though I was a rather "sickly" child -- very thin, pale and prone to severe allergies. And though I eat 2,000 calories a day -- well above the recommended 1,600 for my age and height -- I never seem to gain weight. Doctors always suspect an eating disorder and are dubious when I tell them how much I eat. Despite my slender frame, I'm plagued by persistent bloating. No matter what I eat or when, my stomach seems to puff up and make me look at least four months pregnant. And recently, I learned that I have severely low estrogen levels. My doctor attributes this to my low body weight -- but again, I shouldn't be underweight given the amount I eat! Interestingly, the blood tests also indicated that I have slightly elevated liver enzymes though I don't drink, very low blood sugar though I'd just eaten (oatmeal, skim milk and fruit), and elevated eosinophils (not sure what that means).

Do any of these symptoms sound indicative of celiacs? My husband thinks I'm a complete hypochondriac!

The first thing I see is oatmeal - it is considered to be so contaminated during the harvesting process that it is not considered safe.

You may want to try a food diary - very boring but very helpful for about a month. You right down everything that goes in your mouth and keep track of any symtoms, even if they don't seem related. There may be hidden sources of gluten still (like the oatmeal) or something else is triggering your continued symptoms.

Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely keep a food journal. I've cut out the oat products in the past month or so...oat bran in particular did not agree wtih me...but I still have some of the issues with fatigue and bloating. It is possible that some of the substitutes I've been using are contaminated though...I recently read about issues with buckwheat, which I've been eating quite a lot of.

Assuming I've eliminated all of the problem foods, when should I expect to feel better? After six weeks? A few months? Longer? Also, do my symptoms sound like celiac symptoms?

Many thanks for your input! (And your yellow lab is gorgeous!)

Buckwheat is OK, it isn't wheat but other things might be bothering you tummy just because they are hard to digest. I had to give up beans - something with the protein but I can still have green beans. I also don't eat raw carrots any more.

A lot of you symptoms sound like celiac disease. I don't have a formal DX for myself but hubby can see how much healthier I actually am but it took months to figure it all out. He will probably get behind all this once he really sees how sick a little bit can make you.

If you are not having additional food issues, then it might be other foods. Lactose is a very common if you have a lot of damage.

Also, have you gotten your own stuff so you don't have to share with gluten eating family members? Peanut butter, mayo, butter, etc. Check your lipsticks?

You should also have your own dedictated teflon and cast iron cookware - those hold gluten no matter how they are washed. Same with wooden utensils. I have my own pots except for the stainless steel - those are safe to share. Dedicated toaster is important. Even crumbs, which I learned the hard way, made me sick.

Thanks on the dog - he was from the shelter and is bigger than he looks in the pic - he is about 120lbs right now (lost his winter fat) and the vet thinks he is part mastiff (jaw/size), part lab (face), and part chesepeke bay retreiver (coat). I have had him for about 6 years now.

Hi there. I recently began to suspect celiacs disease after "googling" a number of my symptoms on-line. I've eliminated all known sources of gluten from my diet for the past month or so, but I'm not sure I feel 100% better. At what point should I suspect to feel better if it is, in fact, gluten, that has caused my symptoms -- namely persistent bloating, depression, low estrogen, fatigue and an inability to gain weight?

I don't recall any symptoms growing up, though I was a rather "sickly" child -- very thin, pale and prone to severe allergies. And though I eat 2,000 calories a day -- well above the recommended 1,600 for my age and height -- I never seem to gain weight. Doctors always suspect an eating disorder and are dubious when I tell them how much I eat. Despite my slender frame, I'm plagued by persistent bloating. No matter what I eat or when, my stomach seems to puff up and make me look at least four months pregnant. And recently, I learned that I have severely low estrogen levels. My doctor attributes this to my low body weight -- but again, I shouldn't be underweight given the amount I eat! Interestingly, the blood tests also indicated that I have slightly elevated liver enzymes though I don't drink, very low blood sugar though I'd just eaten (oatmeal, skim milk and fruit), and elevated eosinophils (not sure what that means).

Do any of these symptoms sound indicative of celiacs? My husband thinks I'm a complete hypochondriac!

i'm undiagnosed but suspicious too and just put myself on the gluten-free diet. i have many of the same problems - persistent bloating, underweight (130, 5'11", 30 yrs old) - unfortunately i cna't pass it off as being pregnant. i have read a lot on celiac and apparently symptoms can be all over the map, or none at all, so i'd say yes yours could be celiac symptoms. my problems began during a very stressful period and after i got a virus when i was 19. i was also wondering how long is an good time to wait before "testing" gluten for a reaction after being gluten-free - i'm aiming for AT LEAST a month, maybe two. i understand some people improve drastically right away, others take longer, so who knows.