• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

Have any of you tried the SCD diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet)? I am planning to try it, since after 2.5 years on the gluten-free diet, I continue to have some symptoms unless I eat very 'paleo', which is very restrictive. I even get symptims when I am ABSOLUTELY positive that I have not been 'glutened'. My last biopsy was okay, so there isn't villous atrophy going on, but the GI symptoms hang on... Even Dr Green @ Columbia Presbyterian hasn't been able to help.

I just picked up a copy of "BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE" after hearing the author's daughter speak on a radio show recently and after a suggestion from my new doctor that I look into this diet rather than PALEO. The science behind the SCD diet makes a lot of sense.

so, I have questions if you have used the diet...

Is it necessary to do the restricted 2-5 'starter' day diet that is mentioned in the book?

How easy is it to make your own yogurt?

As someone who hasn't had dairy in a long time, should I be concerned about adding it back into my diet?

Any advice for switching from a gluten-free diet to an SCD diet?

Thanks so much,

Kathleen

Hi everyone,

Have any of you tried the SCD diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet)? I am planning to try it, since after 2.5 years on the gluten-free diet, I continue to have some symptoms unless I eat very 'paleo', which is very restrictive. I even get symptims when I am ABSOLUTELY positive that I have not been 'glutened'. My last biopsy was okay, so there isn't villous atrophy going on, but the GI symptoms hang on... Even Dr Green @ Columbia Presbyterian hasn't been able to help.

I just picked up a copy of "BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE" after hearing the author's daughter speak on a radio show recently and after a suggestion from my new doctor that I look into this diet rather than PALEO. The science behind the SCD diet makes a lot of sense.

so, I have questions if you have used the diet...

Is it necessary to do the restricted 2-5 'starter' day diet that is mentioned in the book?

How easy is it to make your own yogurt?

As someone who hasn't had dairy in a long time, should I be concerned about adding it back into my diet?

Any advice for switching from a gluten-free diet to an SCD diet?

Thanks so much,

Kathleen

Hi bigapplekathleen,

There is a thread about the Specific Carbohydrate diet in the Diet and Weight Issues category that might have some helpful information for you.

In my mind SCD and Paleo diet are so close they could almost be the same thing. SCD allows a few milk products but since I can't seem to tolerate them, I didn't use them.

I found the SCD/Paleo diet to be very healing. I've been cheating a bit and my intestines aren't happy with me. :P

Initially the SCD diet is even more restrictive than the Paleo diet.