• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

L.A.

Does This Happen To Anyone Else?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for several years now. every once in a while i will get this horrible tasting gas in the form of a burp (tastes like rotten eggs) and several hours later i 'llhave the runs and end up throwing up. This whole episode lasts for several hours until the rotten egg gas stops coming up--seems to be purged from my body. Does anyone out there have this type of reaction? L.A.

That horrible gas was my most life-limiting symptom before I figured everything out. I never threw up from it, but it was too awful and constant to even think about going anywhere. I do still get it if I get glutened too.

Hi there,

My son gets those really bad and we have to leave the room! :blink:

His is due to the lactose intolerance. Whenever he eats cheese or milk he turns into a rotten egg.

We all run for cover.

Hi LA: Your signature included "GI told me that he has four other patients just like me who have all the symptoms of celiac and whose overall health is greatly improved by going gluten free, but just don't have the intestinal damage that goes along with classic celiac." Maybe your GI should question how he's doing the biopsies, rather than just assuming his patients are weird. Unless docs take biopsies of every inch of the small intestine, they can easily miss celiac damage. Unfortunately they assume their tests are correct and their patients don't have celiac disease, despite symptoms and dramatic health improvement when abstaining from gluten. SIGH <_<

BURDEE

I have been gluten-free for several years now. every once in a while i will get this horrible tasting gas in the form of a burp (tastes like rotten eggs) and several hours later i 'llhave the runs and end up throwing up. This whole episode lasts for several hours until the rotten egg gas stops coming up--seems to be purged from my body. Does anyone out there have this type of reaction? L.A.

That sounds like giardia ( beaver fever) to me, which a person gets from drinking impure water. I had those same symtoms for years long before my celiac disease showed up. After switching to distilled water - we used to drink unpurified pond water- I've never had it since. even if I get some gluten now. :)