• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

tinkerbell

Questioning If Diagnosis Is Correct

Rate this topic

I am brand new to this website (other than browsing most of the forum for the past couple of days). My doctor has put me on a gluten free diet due to the test results coming back positive for the gliadin antibody. No real symptoms of celiac disease to speak of other than (AFTER gallbladder surgery 5 years ago) chronic constipation and 50 # weight gain. No diarrhea, bloating, or anything else.

I'm really just not sure it this one test will give an accurate diagnosis that I will need to remain gluten free for life (UGH! No pizza???) I'm really apprehensive about the thought of an endoscopy.

I'm not exactly even sure what questions to ask the doctor regarding this.

A positive result on that test means that your body is producing anti-gliandin antibodies. That's an immune response - antibodies - against gliandin - the protein in wheat. That means your body is reactice to wheat. I'd say that means that you shouldn't be eating it. Not everyone gets diarrhea or bloating - many many many people do not manifest with GI symptoms).

Assuming you are *strictly* following the gluten free diet, have you noticed any change in constipation (one of my symptoms) or weight? Any other changes on the diet?

A positive result on that test means that your body is producing anti-gliandin antibodies. That's an immune response - antibodies - against gliandin - the protein in wheat. That means your body is reactice to wheat. I'd say that means that you shouldn't be eating it. Not everyone gets diarrhea or bloating - many many many people do not manifest with GI symptoms).

Assuming you are *strictly* following the gluten free diet, have you noticed any change in constipation (one of my symptoms) or weight? Any other changes on the diet?

I've only been gluten free for a week. I am suspecting it takes longer than that to start to see a change?

I've been gluten-free for six months and it actually is a miracle that I was diagnosed at all, in the face of doctor ignorance and/or apathy, because I had no symptoms other than low iron, which a lot of menstruating women have. My fabulous GP decided to run a gamut of tests, the celiac panel being one of them. So no, a lack of GI symptoms, unfortunately, does not mean you are not celiac. I do react now to gluten when I injest it accidentally, now that my intestine is healing. Bummer...