• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

betsyboo01

Please Recommend "gluten Free Bread"?

Rate this topic

I love the mix from The Gluten-free Pantry for their favorite sandwich bread. It is easy to make and the closest to real bread that I have had.

Just tried kinnikinnick (however you spell it) white sandwich bread. YUM! Couldn't wait to try it, and was at my mom's without gluten-free toaster.......broiled it with cheese in oven - terrific. Went home and had another piece with PB.

I like Chebe, too, but only for stromboli -- when it's plain with no "stuffings" I can't take the aftertaste.

I dislike most gluten-free breads. Call me a bread snob, but they don't meet my expectations. The kinnikinnik brown bread is decent for a sandwhich bread, though.

Just tried kinnikinnick (however you spell it) white sandwich bread. YUM! Couldn't wait to try it, and was at my mom's without gluten-free toaster.......broiled it with cheese in oven - terrific. Went home and had another piece with PB.

I like Chebe, too, but only for stromboli -- when it's plain with no "stuffings" I can't take the aftertaste.

hi,

we are going to the United States for vacation and I saw the kinnikinnick bread replies (what a name for something like this) but can somebody telle me where to buy this? And when I want to bake bread myself where can I buy the flour and which brand is the best?

Thanks for all the help!

marja

aruba

hi,

we are going to the United States for vacation and I saw the kinnikinnick bread replies (what a name for something like this) but can somebody telle me where to buy this? And when I want to bake bread myself where can I buy the flour and which brand is the best?

Thanks for all the help!

marja

aruba

Hi. We order from Kinnikinnick all the time. Pretty sure they're a Canadian company. I've seen some of their products (like cake mixes) in Wild Oats, but not their breads. We order ours online.

Guest Dawn_literacy

Soft Corn tortillas (be sure to read the label...preaching to the choir here) are a good quick substitute for bread.

I like "Food For Life" brand Raisin pecan, but it is a sweet bread; also very dense, can give you heartburn if you're not careful. I am glad to hear the recommendations for regular bread - I miss having some toast to soak up my poached eggs!

www.foodforlife.com

hi,

Thanks for all the help!

marja

aruba

I'm from the Midwest originally and Kinnikinnick seems to remind me of the name of a town there. Lots of native american named places around there. Lots of gluten-free companies are from Wisconsin, since there are lots of Vikings and Scandinavians there. Northern Europeans are the major celiac population from what I gather. Happy Syttende Mai!

Do you guys make your bread in a bread machine (mine does not have a gluten-free setting like some do) or int he oven? I have a mix of the gluten-free Pantry bread but haven't made it yet - just wondering which works better.

Do you guys make your bread in a bread machine (mine does not have a gluten-free setting like some do) or int he oven? I have a mix of the gluten-free Pantry bread but haven't made it yet - just wondering which works better.

I used to make the GFP bread--I would mix it up in my Kitchenaid mixer, and then bake it in a loaf pan in the oven. It always came out fine.

I'm from the Midwest originally and Kinnikinnick seems to remind me of the name of a town there. Lots of native american named places around there. Lots of gluten-free companies are from Wisconsin, since there are lots of Vikings and Scandinavians there. Northern Europeans are the major celiac population from what I gather. Happy Syttende Mai!

HA! I was thinking all of that myself. I live right off of Kinnickinnic (spelled differently) in Milwaukee, WI.

I have yet to find a gluten-free bread that does not contain rice flour- either frozen or a mix. Maybe the Cebe mix doen't have rice. I'll have to check next time I head to Sun Harvest. Is there such a bread out there that is gluten-free and rice free?

Have a good day!

LyndaK

I have yet to find a gluten-free bread that does not contain rice flour- either frozen or a mix. Maybe the Cebe mix doen't have rice. I'll have to check next time I head to Sun Harvest. Is there such a bread out there that is gluten-free and rice free?

Have a good day!

LyndaK

http://www.glutenevolution.com/

haven't tasted it, but found it on the internet. Hope this helps. I was hoping the food for life millet bread was rice-free, but no go. I'm going to give it a try anyway, and let others know how it is.

The glutenevolution also has rice/corn/soy/etc/gluten free banana bread mix.

I also love the Breads by Anna / Gluten Evolution. What I love about her breads are that they TASTE GOOD and that they have such WONDERFUL ingredients! It is a fabulous choice when you compare it with the ingredients in some other gluten-free premade breads. I was lucky enough to attend one of her classes and her recipe for stuffing was just delicious with her bread mix!

I make my own from scratch, too, that is very good. I think it tastes as good as Anna's, but her texture is better. And her pie crust mix...mmmm.....

Oh my gosh! You've GOT to try Whole Food Market's Sun-Dried Tomato Garlic Bread. Toasted with butter or margarine.

It's WONDERFUL! They sell it in the freezer section.

Even my father-in-law, who makes his OWN bread and has been pretty snitty lately, said it was okay, but then went back for two other pieces. :lol::D

Nancy