• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I'll try to be brief! Family dr. when told of my long spell of D last summer and my self-diagnosis - sent me to a gastroenterologist writing "Celiac Screen" on the form. Gastro Dr. sent me in for a celiac screen blood test - but I have no idea what that consisted of. (I will ask on my follow up ) - it came back negative after being on gluten for only 4 weeks following 3 months of gluten free. Scheduled me for colonoscopy - I mentioned that from all I had read, that would show nothing about Celiacs Disease. He answers "I can tell if there is celiac damage from a colonoscopy. So I went after eating wheat for two months - Had it done today - 3 polyps removed --- also told I have diverticulosis -- - My question to the panel? IS Celiacs disease EVER found with a Colonoscopy - -(or was it just a ploy to getting me in for a colonoscopy , finally :)

That's what I'm suspecting :) Do dr's really play such games :)

I have NEVER seen Colonoscopy mentioned for Celiacs. Should mention that the many weeks of D. were stopped after FOUR days! However -- since going back on wheat/gluten I have not had such a bad time - altho' I do "go" more often. I also suspect some depression. shhhh - I don't tell many people that! :)

Celiac CANNOT be diagnosed by colonscopy. It's good to get those polyps out, but you still need an endoscopy.

richard

yeah not for celia, but my doctor wants me to have one also (not sure why im only 20 what could be wrong down there) how did the procedure go was it bad? i am not sure if i am having one yet but im still nervius about it

I had both done, too. The doctor wanted to rule out other things like Chron's and microscopic colitis.

It was really not that bad--the prep the day before is the worst part. I was asleep for the whole thing and woke up feeling fine. Not at all as bad as I thought it was going to be! Not to worry :D

I had both. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Felt fine afterward, just tired. Since I'm normally so busy, it was actually nice to be able to spend the day in bed!! The prep is the worst part.

I'll try to be brief! Family dr. when told of my long spell of D last summer and my self-diagnosis - sent me to a gastroenterologist writing "Celiac Screen" on the form. Gastro Dr. sent me in for a celiac screen blood test - but I have no idea what that consisted of. (I will ask on my follow up ) - it came back negative after being on gluten for only 4 weeks following 3 months of gluten free. Scheduled me for colonoscopy - I mentioned that from all I had read, that would show nothing about Celiacs Disease. He answers "I can tell if there is celiac damage from a colonoscopy. So I went after eating wheat for two months - Had it done today - 3 polyps removed --- also told I have diverticulosis -- - My question to the panel? IS Celiacs disease EVER found with a Colonoscopy - -(or was it just a ploy to getting me in for a colonoscopy , finally :)

That's what I'm suspecting :) Do dr's really play such games :)

I have NEVER seen Colonoscopy mentioned for Celiacs. Should mention that the many weeks of D. were stopped after FOUR days! However -- since going back on wheat/gluten I have not had such a bad time - altho' I do "go" more often. I also suspect some depression. shhhh - I don't tell many people that! :)

My son had both test done after beeing wfdf for 3 months. He had been sick for 5 years.

The endoscope did NOT show anything but the

COLONSCOPY SHOWED BLUNTED VILLI !!!!

So I do not agree with th other post- it is possible to see the very end

My son went gluten free after colonoscopy, blood & enterolab testing.

Hope that helps to know

Devsmom