• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

so can acne be related to celiac disease?? i have been gluten free for about 3 weeks now and my face *always has been very bad with lots of acne and blemishs* is almost completly cleared up its amazing. I say this because i have tried everything including meds to make it go away and nothing had ever worked and now its just magicaly going away

My acne disappeared to after going gluten free. Acne can be a result of malnutrition I believe.

My acne disappeared to after going gluten free. Acne can be a result of malnutrition I believe.

Mine did, too. I posted this in a thread about Proactiv not long ago. I thought the reason was because I was approaching menopause--but it could be the diet.....

Guest Evelyn&Ric

Definitely yes! The acne went away when he stopped eating gluten.

Ric saw a Dermatologist and took several different antibiotics for several years. (We suspect that these antibiotics may have triggered his gluten intolerance – he is not officially diagnosed Celiac yet.) Ric stopped taking antibiotics after the gluten symptoms started. After tons of tests, the doctors could not find out what was wrong. His doctor told him that he has IBS and sent him home with Prozac (he did not take it). Then I found celiac.com and Ric stopped eating gluten.

The celiac.com community has been a wonderful resource and support. Thank you!

I have the dermatitis herpetiformus type of celiac. My acne really cleared up and i know that I have eaten something bad when I break out. My stomach really doesn't react badly like other people but my skin tells me what is going on with my body. Acne is a side effect of celiac because your body is weak and can't fight the bacteria as easily as a healthy body.