• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bearodilla

Are All Hydrogenated And Hydrolized Oils Out?

Rate this topic

First off thank you to those who wrote back about my fist thread and there is no costco, whole foods, trader joes etc in a ten or twenty county radius. I went to my local teeny tiny co op and spent two hours scouring ingrediant lists but i am unsure whether all hydrogenated and hydrolized oils are out. It seems as if everything has them.

Is cool whip for instance safe? How about chocolate milk? :blink:

Proteins are hydrolized (think hydrolized vegetable protein), which means broken into smaller pieces, oils are hydrogenated, or are chemically reacted to change the carbon bonds and give them a higher melting temperature. Hydrolized vegetable protein is probably soy. Hydrogenated oils like crisco are definitely bad for your heart.

Hydrolized Vegetable Protein can be gluten, but not always. Anything hydrogenated or hydrolized isn't especially good for you though. You should check out the lists of safe and forbidden ingredients on celiac.com. That might help you out.

Hydrogenated may not be particularly good for anybody, but it almost never has gluten, and now if it's made from wheat it has to be listed that way. I've never heard of it being made from barley or rye.

Cool Whip is definitely gluten-free and chocolate milk should be, although I can't guarantee you that every brand in the world is.

richard

First off thank you to those who wrote back about my fist thread and there is no costco, whole foods, trader joes etc in a ten or twenty county radius. I went to my local teeny tiny co op and spent two hours scouring ingrediant lists but i am unsure whether all hydrogenated and hydrolized oils are out. It seems as if everything has them.

Is cool whip for instance safe? How about chocolate milk? :blink:

I know nothing about gluten content in hydorgentated oils one way or the other, but I have been told by my chiropractor (who is with me on the whole celiac thing - in his words "why do you want to back on gluten to get tested when you know it makes you sick" - also he saw a more than 100% turn around in my physical strength after one week off gluten) that hydrogenated oils increase the pain level in your body by 10%. If you have no pain, I would say a little every now & then is not that big a deal.

But if you have any kind of chronic pain (as I have) - DON'T DO IT!!!!

I have noticed myself an increase in pain when I consume them.

Just my two cents...

Lil