• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

In some info that my doctor gave me it says that dried fruit should be avoided on a gluten-free diet....does anyone know about this? I eat a trail mix with dried fruit and nuts all the time. Thanks!

In some info that my doctor gave me it says that dried fruit should be avoided on a gluten-free diet....does anyone know about this? I eat a trail mix with dried fruit and nuts all the time. Thanks!

As always, read labels. I remember picking up a package that had all the good things in there I could eat on front, started eating, turned the package over to read the fine print "wheat starch". GRR Guess it's used to help spread the preservatives or something. Individually I'm sure dried fruits are safe - raisins, apricots (my favorite) and such. Or you can make your own.

Hope this helps some.

Annette

As said, ALWAYS read labels. Most dried fruit is gluten free, but you'll want to check for "Manufactured in a facility that processes..." warning, and the ingredient list. Rolled dates almost always have oat flour (and, hence, are out), but most other things are usually fine. But always check.