This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lemonade

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Hi,

I have Celiac Disease and have been on the gluten-free diet since March (That's when I found out).

Yesterday I got really sick and the only thing different I had was lemonade (I know it wasn't anything else I had because I have been eating the other foods with no problem for awhile now). :(

Anyway, I came across this website:

Open Original Shared Link

and if you scroll down to the lemonade, it says that it has wheat in it..........

I was just wondering if anyone else has had bad reactions to lemonade and does Minute Maid actually have wheat in their lemonade?

I've heard recently that Coke/ Minute Maid no longer says that all their products are gluten free but I have no confirmation on this.... Does anyone know anymore details?

-Carrie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Country Time Lemonades are gluten-free.

Last time I checked with Minute Maid everything was fine, but it has probably been a year since I checked. Maybe someone has some more current info.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Oh, I am digging that Stake and Shake link, thanks!

kalo Rookie

which leads me to a question. I've been reading labels. Do they put things in food and NOT list them? How terrible. Hugs, Carol B

celiac3270 Collaborator

Crystal Light is gluten-free. As a matter of fact, whenever you read a Kraft label, the flavorings are gluten-free unless they say "wheat" or something like that in parens. Crystal Light has some drink mixes that aren't lemonade, but has a pink lemonade and a regular lemonade, as well.

raeofsun Newbie

I am pretty new to this myself. My son 3 1/2 was diagnosed a few weeks ago. I just called Tropicana and Minute Maid today. Tropicana said that their 100% juices (pure premium) are all okay except for the pineapple and the banana (they have natural flavoring which is not okay). Even the calcium added ones are gluten-free.

Minute Maid said that only the 100% oj nothing added is okay. None of the other juices are okay as of now (she said they would know for sure by the end of the year.)

If you like lemonade, Wegmans brand is okay and Capri Sun (if they make a lemonade).

Hope that helps...

lovegrov Collaborator

Carol,

Some companies do indeed hide ingredients. Some things like modified food starch and natural flavors can be wheat-based without listing it (usually they aren't but they can be). You have to educate yourself (look at celiac.com for the safe and forbidden ingredient lists) and you have to call companies about specific products.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kalo Rookie

Hi Richard. I understand about things like modified food starch, flavorings etc etc. But if you know what all the ingredients are and none contain gluten could there still be a problem with them not showing it on the label even under a different name? Does this make sence? Hugs, Carol B

lovegrov Collaborator

I'm not sure what you're asking, Carol. Maybe if you ask it a different way?

richard

kalo Rookie

I was afraid of that. Will they list the unwanted ingredients in some form (maybe not recognizable) or is it possible they won't even bother to list them. i.e tuna,salt,water. Is it possible they put wheat in it but just didn't bother to list it on the can? Another wards, if I recognize ALL the ingredients as safe, do I need to worry about what WASN'T listed? Hugs, Carol B

kalo Rookie

Let me put it this way. Are we contacting companies to find out what that natural flavoring is or what that modified food starch is OR are we contacting them to see if there is something NOT listed on the label? In that case I guess I would need to contact them for EVERY thing under the sun except fresh meat (hopefully) and veggies/fruit. :-) Hugs, Carol B

lovegrov Collaborator

I can't quote you the exact rules but if wheat is some major ingredient they can't just not list it. And I seriously doubt these companies will tell you something is gluten-free when they know it isn't. When I call a company I call to ask if it has wheat, rye, barely or oats anywhere in it. I don't ask specifically about the source of the MFS or natural flavor because I don't care if it isn't wheat.

richard

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for the info on Minute Maid raeofsun..... :)

I guess we can't trust anything by them but their 100% juices (Or until the end of the year, when they know more about their products).

-Carrie

kalo Rookie

So back to my original question. If it has understandable ingedients such as beef, potatoes, carrots, onion and celery salt (veggie soup) and nothing that would suggest an unkown, is it safe to eat or do we have to call the company on everything to make sure something is there that wasn't listed? Hugs, Carol B

lovegrov Collaborator

I think this is a personal choice. Some people call about absolutely everything and grill every person about what else is made in the plant, line cleaning techniques etc.. I've now been gluten-free for nearly three years and if a company either tells me it will clearly list any gluten or if the ingredient list is as simple as your example, I don't call.

cheers

richard, roanoke, va.

kalo Rookie

You answered my question. Thanks Richard. Hugs, Carol B

Archived