• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest Educator

I Need Help! Pleeaasssse!

Rate this topic

Guest Educator

I am looking for someone who has celiac and type 1 diabetes. I need help with coping skills. I have 27% kidney function and heart disease. What CAN I eat??? I know what I cannot eat. Anyone with advise??

I am looking for someone who has celiac and type 1 diabetes. I need help with coping skills. I have 27% kidney function and heart disease. What CAN I eat??? I know what I cannot eat. Anyone with advise??

All the veggies you want, of course. Protein is good. I'd start with those and as you heal you'll feel better. A good rule of thumb is the outside aisles of the grocery store. All of the highly processed stuff in the center is most likely to have wheat products in them. Read labels - takes longer to shop, but you'll be less likely to contaminate yourself. I don't have type 1, but 1 and type II run rampant on both sides of my family. When were you dx'd with celiac? I noticed some of your other problems like the peripheral neurapathy - I developed that earlier this year because I hadn't been 100% gluten free. I kept eating cereals with malt flavoring and drinking malt based alcohol products. It cleared up a few weeks after going completely 100% gluten free. You may find a lessening in some of your other problems the longer you are gluten free.

Hope this helps some; sorry I couldn't address your question directly.

Annette