• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

When I went to bed last night I had a slight pain in my jaw. I didn't really think much about it, just thought it would go away. I woke up several times in the night and the pain had increased. It doesn't hurt when I brush my teeth (my teeth are not sensitve or anything like that). It all seems to be in the jaw. If I open my mouth wide it hurts, if I eat it hurts, if I move my face/jaw around it hurts....anyone have any ideas what on earth this could be???

Hi Turtle,

I don't know what causes it, but I get it periodically.......

But then again, my jaw clicks every time I chew, so perhaps it just get aggravated......

Hugs.

Karen

Go to a dentist and have him look for TMJ. I wear a mouth piece to bed at night and it keeps my jaw pain under control. I clence (sp) my teeth during my sleep and am not even aware that I am doing it. Some people grind their teeth in their sleep. It is worth a shot. Good luck.

I just talked to my dentist friend and he mentioned TMJ as well. He told me to put a hot compress on it for 20-30 min off and on all day today and then see where that leaves me. I just moved so I don't have a new dentist yet (go figure) so i'll have to hope for the best and then locate someone here to see....

It sounds like it could be TMJ Disorder to me. I was diagnosed with it by an ENT several years ago. I had the same pain in the jaw as you describe, and also neck pain that was much worse in the morning. Sometimes, even my shoulders and ear would ache. I also clenched my teeth at night while sleeping (bruxism). The doctor sent me to my dentist to have a bite guard made. I wear it at night on my lower teeth. At the beginning, I had to wear it as much as possible. Using a warm compress, and eating soft food while it's the most painful can sometimes help. You can also locate and massage the joints by placing your fingers on each side of your face where your teeth come together. Bite down a few times, and where you feel the joint move in and out is the place--massage those spots gently. Hope you get some relief soon! :)

You could also try stretching your neck muscles. I get pain in my lower jaw, and finally found out that the pain in my jaw, ear, and shoulder was all caused my spasmed muscles in my neck. Stretches relieved the pain in the most miraculous way!

I think you're on to something jerseyangel...i've had headaches and some neck/shoulder pain but just associated it with other things but after reading more about TMJ and reading your post and the others it's all coming together now...

I can't get a break...earlier in the week I was having my cervix handed to me and now this...AGH!!!

Somehow, someway I WILL put down a gluten-free pizza tonight to make me feel better. HAHA!

yeah i can assoisated with your jaw pain slightly, my jaw lately pops really easaly, and now has been sore but not hurting for about 4 days :(

I think you're on to something jerseyangel...i've had headaches and some neck/shoulder pain but just associated it with other things but after reading more about TMJ and reading your post and the others it's all coming together now...

I can't get a break...earlier in the week I was having my cervix handed to me and now this...AGH!!!

Somehow, someway I WILL put down a gluten-free pizza tonight to make me feel better. HAHA!

I know how you feel, Turtle! It's always something :angry: ! But if you have TMJ Disorder, it is easily dealt with. The only time I have any mild pain at all now is if I don't wear my mouth guard for a while. Kind of a "gentle reminder". Enjoy that pizza :D

When I was about 30 a dentist said to me that grind my teeth, which was the first I'd heard that this might be the case, though if you look at the tops of my teeth, you can see that they are ground flat.

It turns out I have always always held my jaw tight. When it got to the point where my jaws were starting to ache, I forced myself to think about it and make my face relax. It hasn't gotten worse, cross my fingers.