• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

chocolatebunny

Gaining Alot Of Weight While Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm 16 and was just told that I was celiac a few weeks ago. My mom is also celiac which made it much easier to cut our gluten. One thing though, is it seems as if my weight is increasing, almost uncontrolably, in these past few weeks. I've always been very thin and I even lost some weight this year. It was always difficult to gain and keep on weight... of course I didn't mind this much. Anyways, Whenever I weigh myself it seems like the scale keeps going up. I've gained about 10 pounds in only about 3 weeks and I'm eating pretty healthy (I eat a mostly vegan diet with alot of fruits and veggies). I'm just getting worried that I will keep gaining weight and will get overweight. Did any of you start putting on alot of weight when going gluten free? Did your metabolism normalize? How long did it take to do so?

Thanks =)

When i first went gluten free I gained 40 lbs. within the first year. Don't worry, I was grossly underweight. I know that seems like a lot of weight, but it really was needed for me. Well, most of it was needed. Now I pretty much just look normal. Chances are that your weight will level out on its own. I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor and request diabetes and thyroid function tests just to be on the safe side. Better to be overly cautious than to have a health problem lurking. Chances are though that you're just finally starting to get on your way to your body's own "target" weight.