• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Sagesmama

The Test Numbers- Do They Go Up With Increased Gluten Exposure?

Rate this topic

My daughter (10 ms) was tested because of unexplained diarreah and weight loss. My son and I have both been diagnosed so we got her tested as well but her test results show that the full panel were all negative- totally normal range. BUT my daughter has had very limited exposure to glutens so my question is- do the numbers go up the more exposure there is or are the numbers what they are- gluten or no gluten.... does that make sense?

We've already decided that she's going gluten-free, despite the negative test results but I was just curious. If we had decided not to limit her gluten intake- would those numbers increase if she had Celiac?

At ten months it is entirely possible that the test results were wrong. My pediatrician wouldn't even test my daughter until she was eating solid foods for a full year. You could always get the gene test to make sure that your daughter carries the Celiac genes and use that as your temporary diagnosis until she's old enough to eat enough gluten to cause a positive result. However, if she has an issue with gluten, you may just want to use her dietary response as her diagnosis, especially since Celiac runs in the family. Better safe than sorry, right?

Definitely... that's what I was thinking too- the gluten-free diet will be the tell tale sign that gluten was causing those symptoms.

At ten months it is entirely possible that the test results were wrong. My pediatrician wouldn't even test my daughter until she was eating solid foods for a full year. You could always get the gene test to make sure that your daughter carries the Celiac genes and use that as your temporary diagnosis until she's old enough to eat enough gluten to cause a positive result. However, if she has an issue with gluten, you may just want to use her dietary response as her diagnosis, especially since Celiac runs in the family. Better safe than sorry, right?

That being said though, you may end up needing the actual doctor's diagnosis for school issues when she's of age. I know some parents have had a hard time with teachers being appropriately cautious w/o a doctor's note. Your doctor may be willing to give her a diagnosis of gluten intolerant w/ just the positive dietary response. You'll want to discuss this with him/her before the situation arises. Good luck!