• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

covsooze

Glutened Without Gi Symptoms?

Rate this topic

I posted yesterday about my aching muscles. I didn't think I'd been glutened, but am beginning to wonder. the thing is, I haven't had any bad GI symptoms. But, as well as feeling achey, today I've felt exhausted, depressed and had bad brain fog (we were shopping for curtains and I lost count of the number of times I had to ask DH what the measurements were - how could I not remember 2 numbers?! :o ). Does anyone else have gluten experiences without GI symptoms? The reason I'm confused is cos I haven't knowingly eaten gluten. Nor have I eaten out in the past couple of weeks, so if it is down to gluten it's a hidden source (which I doubt) or cc.

Don't really want to contemplate the possibility of fibro...

I posted yesterday about my aching muscles. I didn't think I'd been glutened, but am beginning to wonder. the thing is, I haven't had any bad GI symptoms. But, as well as feeling achey, today I've felt exhausted, depressed and had bad brain fog (we were shopping for curtains and I lost count of the number of times I had to ask DH what the measurements were - how could I not remember 2 numbers?! :o ). Does anyone else have gluten experiences without GI symptoms? The reason I'm confused is cos I haven't knowingly eaten gluten. Nor have I eaten out in the past couple of weeks, so if it is down to gluten it's a hidden source (which I doubt) or cc.

Don't really want to contemplate the possibility of fibro...

Hi Susie--

I think it's possible to have a gluten reaction without GI symptoms. How bad are they usually when you are glutened? I always get the GI stuff, but also all of the other things you mentioned--even the achey muscles. Usually, for me, it's my legs. I know how confusing it can be sometimes trying to figure out how it happened. It can drive you crazy! I would kind of wait it out for now, and see if it goes away in the normal timeframe of a gluten incident for you. If it lingers, then you may want to look into other reasons for the muscle aches. :)

Thanks Patti. I know it will sound daft, but I don't know what a glutening incident is like for me. I've only been gluten-free for 4 months, and have been very strict. Having had good advice before I started the diet from my sister who also has celiac disease, and having gluten-free items in the UK on prescription, I think I've been very lucky in being able to be as gluten-free as poss. That's why I think it could only be cc if it is a glutening and why I'm confused. Still, I know from my sister's experience that being ultra careful about cc is the way to go, as she was geeting ill again from minute amounts of cc in her home kitchen utensils.