• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Nic

Strange Symptom

Rate this topic

I just took my youngest son today for blood work to test for Celiac. My oldest son has been diagnosed for a year. His primary symptom was always constipation. Out of no where my little one all of a sudden cries that he can't poop and that his bottom hurts. This is where we started with the oldest so the red flag went up especially since the little one eat about 4 servings of fruit a day and more orange juice than what most would think normal. Anyway, my oldest son still has bouts of constipation even though he is gluten free. But just within the past month he complains of his penis burning and I noticed that it is only when he can't poop. My ped. said it is probably pressure from not being able to poop. Odd to me because at his sickest, when he could not poop for over a week, and they were giving him 4 enimas in the ER (and still never pooped) he never complained of his penis burning. Today my little one ran from the bathroom crying that his penis burns and he needs old water. Any thoughts?

If it's happening in the bathroom while he's trying to go, it could be a urinary tract infection. Is that the only time it happens?

Hi, it is only when they have to go to the bathroom but not every time. Only when they can't poop. Sounds strange, I guess I need to investigate further.

This is my take on the situation. When I eat things I am intolerant to (including getting glutened by accident), especially fruit, first of all, I will usually get constipated, but also, I feel like I am getting a bladder infection! When I get that awful burning when peeing, that means often that I ate too much fruit (or other things containing salicylates, which is acid).

It sounds to me like you need to limit your son's intake of orange juice! Try having them drink mostly water, and I bet that symptom will clear right up. Also, too much fruit is actually unhealthy, try giving them raw carrots (or whatever other vegetable they like) instead of some of the fruit they'd usually eat.