• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Mia H

Hagen Daaz Or Toaster

Rate this topic

Yesterday I had gluten-free bread toasted in a regular toaster for lunch. Then after dinner I had chocolate hagen daaz. Right after the ice cream my stomach had that diarrhea crampy feeling. and today I feel "hung over" . Which one is more likely to cause problems?

Does chocolate have gluten in it?

Could I just clean my toaster really well or do I need to buy a new one?

Could sugar cause this reaction?

I don't seem to react to milk in general, I have cereal & yogurt every morning without problems.

Thanks for any advice!

Mia

don't think it was the ice cream - hagan dazs is probably one of the most natural and chocolate is definitley ok (I eat ice cream - well, frozen yogurt actually - all the time without a problem - just make sure it doesn't have cookies or brownies in it, obvoisly) :)

It might be a combination. Gluten from the toaster, low blood sugar from the Haagen Dazs. My husband and I both get "ice cream hangovers" that have nothing to do with gluten.

I'd get a new toaster.

Haagen Dazs triple chocolate is not gluten free, but their regular chocolate is gluten free.

Carla

Hi Mia--The separate toaster is really necessary. Way back when I first went gluten-free, I had no idea I shouldn't put my rice bread in my regular toaster. I was making other mistakes in the kitchen, too. After I found this forum and made the necessary changes, there were far less mystery glutenings! :D

Hi Mia--The separate toaster is really necessary. Way back when I first went gluten-free, I had no idea I shouldn't put my rice bread in my regular toaster. I was making other mistakes in the kitchen, too. After I found this forum and made the necessary changes, there were far less mystery glutenings! :D

Thank you guys. I am so thankful for this website. I never would have thought the toaster would be that big of a deal, but I must be in denial. When I look at the thing, it is covered in crumbs. And toasters are cheap anyway, why get sick over $15 for a new toaster.

Mia