• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Kelly J.

Weight Loss By Going Gluten Free? Bloating?

Rate this topic

I've heard that many people gain weight on a gluten free diet, but has anyone lost weight as a result of going gluten free? I am thinking that after my endoscopy I expect to loose weight by sticking mainly to fruits, vegies and lean meats. I may have some gluten free cereal in the mornings for breakfast, but I just can't see myself paying the outragous prices I've seen for the gluten free cookies, brownies, etc. They're so expensive - at least for my budget. I'm hoping that I loose instead of gain. Also, how long does it take for the bloating to subside after going gluten free? I look like I'm about 4 or 5 months pregnant, and I have a wedding dress that I have to fit in to for this September.

As unexplained weight GAIN is a common symptom of celiac disease as well, yes, lots of people lose weight on the gluten free diet, me included. I was also very bloated, with swollen ankles, feet and hands. The bloating and swelling subsided within a week on the gluten-free diet, and I am slowly losing the rest of the excess weight.

Don't expect overnight miracles. But you have lots of time until September, and I am sure you'll be rid of the bloating by then. Just stay away from all the substitute gluten-free foods, they are very high in starch and therefore quite fattening. It looks to me, from everything I've read (and my own experience) that people with celiac disease who gained weight on gluten usually don't tolerate starches very well.

before going gluten free for the month i was sick, i lost in 2 weeks around 50 pounds after going gluten free i lost another 37 pounds but i still get bloated, so that meens in the past month i have lost 87 pounds. but i could have worms so my problems may be explained diffrently. But yes it can be normal to loose weight

When I was diagnosed I weighed 130. After going gluten-free I weighed 110. So I lost 20 lbs. without even trying. I gained it back over the last year because I was taking an anti-depressant; went back up to 130. Now I went off the anti-depressant about a month ago and have already lost 5lbs; I'm now at about 125.

the only thing I caution with the gluten-free diet and weight is that you feel a LOT better after a few months so you start to eat more. At least, that was my experience. My stomach always hurt before diagnosis and now that it doesn't hurt anymore I can overeat, whereas I NEVER overate before. I watch my portion size like crazy.

Since Sept./Oct 2005 I have lost 37 pounds. I haven't tried I just started losing. 23 of them were before I went gluten-free. At first I was excited then I found out I was sick. I'm not complaining but I kind of get tired of the questions and comments on how much I've lost and how they wish they could lose weight too.

Guest nini

at the time of my dx I weighed 260 lbs (on a 5'2" frame) and was so frustrated cos I really didn't eat that much and was on a "diet" all the time. It is now three years since my dx and believe it or not, I have lost 105 lbs. I went from a size 3x (22-24) to now wearing a size medium (10-12)... I'm still losing and I'm not even trying. It's just coming off slow and steady. A really good way to lose weight. (at one point I was losing it really quickly but realized I wasn't getting enough calories) I stick to a diet of primarily fresh fruits and veggies, organic meats, rice and potatoes... I eat what I want, when I want... If I want chocolate cake, I make chocolate cake (gluten-free of course) if I want candy, I eat it... I just don't pig out and eat it all the time! LOL! I did make an effort to start serving my meals on small plates (except for salads, I do those on BIG plates!)

Nini it must be wonderful to be rid of all that weight.

I think the people that gain weight are those that had all their food go right through them. Now they are actually digesting and assimilating their foods,..... which is a good thing. I lost weight on gluten free choices because a big chunk of my diet was gone. I'm rather picky about what I put in my body and didn't fall for the gluten free mixes for an alternative. For one thing everything you eat for awhile should be nutriative {is that a word} dense. Your body hasn't been recieving vitamins and minerals foods had to offer for a long time. Most of my choices were protein, veggies, fruit, brown rice, and millet bread. I felt great. I started to eat yogurt unsweeted with fruit like blueberries. I ate nut butters on rice crackers or those nut crackers. I was starting to feel good for the first time in my life. Which became my motivation.

I then went through a time of testing. I became interested in the gluten free isle in my grocery store. I decided to try cake mixes and try my hand at making cookies, buying all the flours etc. I started to include the snacks you could have like cheetos and potato chips. What happened is I didn't feel good. I didn't gain weight eating them but I could have if I continued. My blood sugar started to go through the roof and felt cranky and naucous all the time. All those foods are high in sugar, potato starch {another sugar} corn starch etc. Diabeties runs in my family and no doubt could of become one eating that way.

So long story but this way of eating doesn't have to be expensive because you don't need to buy all that stuff anyway. The bread is the only thing you have to buy only because its nice to have it

toasted in the morning with eggs or to make a tuna sandwich. But I keep it frozen since it takes me over a week to eat a loaf. I don't buy the breads made with junk either. But that's a personal taste and alot of people have their favorites.

Your going to feel better if you make good choices and have energy like you didn't know you had. Don't worry about weight gain at all you're going to be a beautiful bride. I'm excited for you!

Blessings,

Gail

I've heard that many people gain weight on a gluten free diet, but has anyone lost weight as a result of going gluten free? I am thinking that after my endoscopy I expect to loose weight by sticking mainly to fruits, vegies and lean meats. I may have some gluten free cereal in the mornings for breakfast, but I just can't see myself paying the outragous prices I've seen for the gluten free cookies, brownies, etc. They're so expensive - at least for my budget. I'm hoping that I loose instead of gain. Also, how long does it take for the bloating to subside after going gluten free? I look like I'm about 4 or 5 months pregnant, and I have a wedding dress that I have to fit in to for this September.

Firstly don't worry about weight per-se ... what you want is to look stunning in that wedding dress!

Obviously loosing a few pounds is good but if you are serious then get yourself out doing what exersize you can, be it walking or going to a gym or whatever. This will stimulate your body to start burning excess fat but you might not loose weight on a scale as fast as your body gets toned and that doesn't matter does it?

From what you present as your new diet you should be going fine :D

Make sure you get loads of veggies and cut out any and all carb snacks except fruit.

I sometimes find I will pig out on fruit if Im not careful, bananas for instance are a little too easy to eat :D wheras peeling an orange makes you think twice... by my reckoning if I still want it after peeling it I must need some food intake....

Try and make sure you carry some fruit in a handbag ... one trap of going gluten-free is you end up looking for something convenient and can't find anything and end up buying some chips or nuts etc. instead... you can avoid this by having the fruit to hand.

However please keep in mind... yes this is a big day but it is YOUR big day. You are the star and you must be pretty certain your hubby to be loves you as you are.. by all means try and get healthier, its never a bad thing but keep in mind that worrying over this isn't going to make the day go any smoother....

Wishing you all the best for your upcoming union...

Hello Kelly :)

I have been gluten free since April 25, 2006 and I have lost between 8-10 Pounds without trying. My friends told me they could tell the bloating was down the second day because my face and hands weren't as chunky. The abdominal pain associated with bloating went away after a week.

I have been eating alot of the substitute items for celiacs, such as a substitute mac and cheese, a substitue pizza, chocolate candy bars that are labeled gluten free. I am not necessarily trying to eat healthy. I am trying to eat gluten free.

I think it's probably better to try to eat healthy AND gluten free and at some point I may try that but not now. My point, yes I have lost weight without trying.

Have a wonderful day!