• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

covsooze

Dish Cloths/ Sponges

Rate this topic

Just wondering what everyone does about dish cloths and sponges where they have family members still eating gluten. it suddenly occured to me this morning that this could be a cause of cc. What do you think?

I would use separate dish cloths, if you're worries about wiping down tables with crumbs and the like, but sponges for dishes are used before rinsing, and used to losen food from the plate, and I wouldn't worry about.

I do as Tiffany suggests, I don't worry about the sponge since everything gets rinsed after using it. I use paper towels to be sure I'm avoiding contamination. I always used a dish cloth until I knew about my gluten intolerance because it seemed so wasteful to go through so many paper towels, but now most stuff goes in the dishwasher, and the stuff that doesn't, gets dried with paper towels, including my hands.

I have a small problem with germs (read mild OCD) so I use 3 sponges

pink for gluten dishes (that are washed all together in the same sink then the sink washed out before my gluten-free dishes)

green for gluten free dishes (green like healthy LOL)

and yellow for my counters.

I microwave them for 1 min everyday to kill germs (30 seconds if they are dry)

then I throw them out at the end of the week and start over again on Monday.

Although I am what my husband refers to as "crazy" LOL

anyway, you might just want to use seperate sponges, color code them or something so everyone knows not to use the gluten sponge on your stuff.

I have no clue how much of my routine is necessary and how much is nuts......so, you know take what works and ignore the rest.